PLEASE HELP

juzzo_5913

hi guys i have had this tank set up for over a year now and over the past 6 or so months i have slowly been losing fish, about 3 months ago my parents decided to buy some fish from an all pets store and put them in the tank and when they did this the fish started to die i was very concernded so i spent about 80 dollars buying new fish about a month ago and a majority all died , last week i purchased 3 silver sharks for the tank two have died one yesterday one today and the other has white spot (no other fish has it), its a 120L tank and i take out 20 L a week and use prime on the water and use stability also I dont understand how i could have lost all the fish i have spent so much money on this tank and all the just end up dying, I have a 4ft african tank and the fish in that are GREAT i purchased a master test kit as i had wanted to see if i was doing something wrong but all the results were fine ph was 7.2-7.6 ammonia was 0 ppm nitrate was about 40 im losing hope and i dont want to i love fish so much but im having no luck at all, (i forgot to mention when my parents bought these fish at the store i had fish that were about a year old then they started to die)

firstly take out the silver shark that has white spot so you can treat it back to good helth do some reasearch on all the fish you have in the tank to make sure there conpatable plus evaluate the amount of fish you have in the tank it may be too much check filtration dont over feed and remember when introducing new fish dont rush the process your fish get stressed as is causess deases plus death,

keep us up dated with your findings,

It's not just the silver shark with white spot. It is the entire tank.

So leave him there. Don't introduce any new fish.

And follow some instructions.

Lower the water level of your tank.

Rise the temperature of the water to 29ish.

Remove any activated or old charcoal from the filter/tank.

Pull out all the rocks.

Treat with whitespot cure. Make sure you follow the instructions especially where it says about scaleless fish.

On the second day do a gravel vac and repeat dosage.

To be sure that you have it all repeat again.

White spot can survive in the gravel.

But it does not like warm water.

After you have treated the tank and feel sure that it has all gone.

Slowly lower the temp over a few days.

Raise the water level and add your ornaments back in.

If you are going to add charcoal then only leave it in the system for about 4-6 weeks.

Good luck.

I always use tri-sulphate meds if I get a whitespot outbreak. Dont forget to increase the amount of air going into your tank. The higher temps cause oxygen diffusion to suffer and this can be just as bad for your fish with stress.

thanks guys one more question whats the best whitespot chemical to buy?

I'd recommend protozin.

I would also add some salt to the tank during the treatment. Salt helps in maintaining a healthy slim coat.

hey guy sorry its been a while working alot, i put thetemp of the wter up to 29 degrees days ago and only recived my bottle of seachem cupramine today (love the postage) and when i was going to put it in the tank i had noticed that the white spots were practically gone on the fish, so i added about 18 drops little under half the ammount the bottle says, so i hope its ok now, just one more thing off u guys can u help me understand what the copper can do to the tank from that chemical (so in otherwords what the chemical does ot the tank)

The cooper can sort of act like an antibiotic.

It helps build the slime coat and actually seems to fight off the white spot.

An old wives tale that I still beieve in is to put a few copper pennies in the tank.

As they slowly break down they also proptect the fish.

Also if you want to stop the white spot from coming back you need to gravel vac and repeat the dosage.

My bottle says to do it every 3 days.

A lot of stores have different bacteria in their water, if your fish are not floated and introduced correctly this may be contributing to the high deaths.

You could add some Cycle or StressZyme to the water to help with acclimatizing the fish to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Do as Citypainter says in first comment

Week apart is too long, I do water change daily for 3 days & top up meds as well, you needed to get the meds that day not wait for them to be posted, If your crook you go to the Dr or you just maybe dead like your fish.

Keep the water changes up and dont get anymore fish untill your tank settles.

If they lasted through the week you should be fine if you retreated as said.

If you dont you run the risk it will return.

Way to late for Cycle or StressZyme etc.

anotyher helpful tip (well 2 really)

1.Always quarantine any new fish

and if you cant.

2. Never, ever , ever put water from the LFS into your tank. Acclimatise your fish OUT of your tank and when transfering into the new tank dont pour the water in with the fish.

Mike

Archived