Mpanga and lombardi cross breed

fongyfong

can you check the other posts please , or otherwise ask him not to sell them on .

hes not going to sell them, hes just excited that his fish bred it was by accident, and this is his first time keeping fish

you been around long enough to answer your own question

yeah i know they are called hybrid, but there are other cross breeds going around like tangerine peacock, marble etc and thats what he wanted to know if there was any specific name for them

yeah i know they are called hybrid, but there are other cross breeds going around like tangerine peacock, marble etc and thats what he wanted to know if there was any specific name for them

The tangerine peacock is line bred not hybrid as far as I'm aware...................... Breeding fish to produce a desireable trait that is fixed with predictable results. Even if it isn't a wild form fish keepers know what it is and that it breeds true.

Yes the marble is a cross breed, but that doesn't mean it should be sold or encouraged. Are they sterile?

The biggest problem with closely related fish is that if the hybrids breed back to for example the Mpanga or lombardi then it is really getting further and further away from the orginal form and is just a mash up. And if they keep breeding what is he going to do with all the fry? Get attached to them and keep them so the crosses cross again and again? If he has an Oscar tank.......

You should encourge his excitement so he can get proper breeding groups going with the Mpanga and lombardi now that he has seen how easily they breed. This might help him produce fry that are useful to real fish enthusiasts. That is what fish keeping is all about.

Most hybrids aren't named, unless they produce something oddball... Why keep oddball fish?

The tangerine peacock is line bred not hybrid as far as I'm aware...................... Breeding fish to produce a desireable trait that is fixed with predictable results. Even if it isn't a wild form fish keepers know what it is and that it breeds true.

Yes the marble is a cross breed, but that doesn't mean it should be sold or encouraged. Are they sterile?

The biggest problem with closely related fish is that if the hybrids breed back to for example the Mpanga or lombardi then it is really getting further and further away from the orginal form and is just a mash up. And if they keep breeding what is he going to do with all the fry? Get attached to them and keep them so the crosses cross again and again? If he has an Oscar tank.......

You should encourge his excitement so he can get proper breeding groups going with the Mpanga and lombardi now that he has seen how easily they breed. This might help him produce fry that are useful to real fish enthusiasts. That is what fish keeping is all about.

Most hybrids aren't named, unless they produce something oddball... Why keep oddball fish?

Yeah i did i told him to get a male Lombardi and female mpanga, so he can breed them and sell etc, but hes so keen to raise the fry and so happy about it i dont think he will kill them off. And hes not going to sell them

Just strip the female now and let the eggs fall into the tank. easier to kill them that way then when they are free swimming. (well easier in my humane way). BUt im not at all experienced in the 2 species but i think you will need more then 1 female of each species to keep the males happy. 1m 3f would be better.... i think

Like the marble peacock, the tangarines (pinkowski) or what ever name they may go under are also considered as hybrids, mainly because the origin is not clear and no one knows how they have come about.

Marbles are line bred from A.hensbaenchi (sp) cross marble zebra the line breeding was to get the peacock shape.I can even remember when importers sold marbles as OB Zebra X peacock

Tangerine peacocks wouldnt surprise me if the Tangerine zebra is mixed in some where ?

I have a LFS in SA and it is so disapointing that certain fish are no longer pure, and it can also be so hard to explain to some people the fish they bought and paid good money for isnt what they thought it was.

Actually, they do have a proper name....."Eatus Byudderfishus".........OR, commonly known as "feeder fish" !!

I personally don't like cross bred fish. And this is probably the best thing to do with the fry.

....did I say that out loud??? Oops.

Like the marble peacock, the tangarines (pinkowski) or what ever name they may go under are also considered as hybrids, mainly because the origin is not clear and no one knows how they have come about.

Marbles are line bred from A.hensbaenchi (sp) cross marble zebra the line breeding was to get the peacock shape.I can even remember when importers sold marbles as OB Zebra X peacock

Tangerine peacocks wouldnt surprise me if the Tangerine zebra is mixed in some where ?

I have a LFS in SA and it is so disapointing that certain fish are no longer pure, and it can also be so hard to explain to some people the fish they bought and paid good money for isnt what they thought it was. :dntknw:

Those that developed the "German" red varieties are keeping it secret how their "dragon blood" "tangerine" etc came about, too lucrative, but from what I have read, they are line bred from the "Rubin". And if that line stays a named line I'm not going to get too upset. I have the choice to avoid them if I want. There is a place for line bred and tank bred fish as it eases the fishing pressure on wild stocks.

Atleast with known hybrids OB electric blue, Calico peacocks etc ... we can choose not to keep them. But until recently I didn't know they were hybrids. That is why education and access to information is so important. When a lomardi x hits the LFS's as Lombardi because some specimens look similar, that is where the danger to the amature breeder like me is.

I am breeding A. 'hansbaenschi', the father is a cracking specimen and his female is breeding true. For me there would be nothing worse than picking up a 'hansbaenschi' female only to waste months of raising the fry to see I got something un-predictable. So my plan will have to be to keep several females from thse parents and be on the look out for a coloured up male to introduce new blood. Apart from the fact that named Aulunacaras are not easy to come by..... Damn those unscrupulous fish breeders.

Archived