8ft x 24"x20"high

1hopper09

hi all

just wanted to know if anyone can help me ?

im looking at getting a 8ft x 24" x 20" tank made up with side drop filtration

my question is would the side drop filtration on this size tank keep my water clean and fish healthy ???

That would all depend on your bio load or the amount and size of fish you plan to keep, thats a fairly big tank, I personally would add a large canister filter to be sure, like an Eheim 2260, but thats entirely up to you.

sorry what is a bio load ??

If i were you maybe take it a little slower, do a bit more research and maybe get a medim sized tank before you jump into such a big tank. As impressive as they are big tanks can be big responsibility. but yeah do some research, you would hate to spend all that cash and find out that a big tank is not for you hehe.

Are you currently keeping any tanks at the moment.

If i were you maybe take it a little slower, do a bit more research and maybe get a medim sized tank before you jump into such a big tank. As impressive as they are big tanks can be big responsibility. but yeah do some research, you would hate to spend all that cash and find out that a big tank is not for you hehe.

Are you currently keeping any tanks at the moment.

thanks yipp-e

but i currently have 17 tanks that range from 2ft to by big 10ft

but all are running on bio-ball sumps and i want to start some new tanks with side-dropres and wanted to know what people thought about them or had any nolage with them

i have been told that side droppers on a 4ft tank keep the water very clean

Its just strange you had no idea what bio load was thats all, thought you might be a newbie.

Thats cool though. As for side drop filtration Vs a wet/dry or wet sump it really depends on your media for water clarity. Im assuming its the clarity your after yeah? well the finer the last part of you filter the clearer the water quality, if you do a baffle style sump with a coarse media and in the last chamber you have something like small gravel this would help water polishing. I actually asked about water polishing on here recently and noone replied.

Its just strange you had no idea what bio load was thats all, thought you might be a newbie.

Thats cool though. As for side drop filtration Vs a wet/dry or wet sump it really depends on your media for water clarity. Im assuming its the clarity your after yeah? well the finer the last part of you filter the clearer the water quality, if you do a baffle style sump with a coarse media and in the last chamber you have something like small gravel this would help water polishing. I actually asked about water polishing on here recently and noone replied.

well i am a newbie,i think.. i have been looking after and breeding fish for the last two years and i think i have this fish disease and bought all these tanks :( so im still learning all about it as i would like to have healthy fish and clean water

but what im thinking of doing is getting a 8ftx24"x20"high and in one end of the tank i will have a divider creating a chamber with 5mm gap off the base of the tank to alow water flow into the chamber through the filter wool and two air pipes with a air stone in the pipes returning the water back into the main tank so there will be no other sumps servicing this tank ...

so what do u think ??

IMO... Depending on what type and how many fish you have in the tank and if this is a display tank or not, you would have to use some other type of filter (internal, external, or sump). Personaly, if it's a display tank I would not go the side drop only because of how they look. I use canisters for my display tanks. If not used for display, the side drop would only be for polishing and I would use one of the other type for bio filter. Again thats just my thinking. I'm also only a newbie to fish keeping so I am keen on seeing what others think. :)

IMO... Depending on what type and how many fish you have in the tank and if this is a display tank or not, you would have to use some other type of filter (internal, external, or sump). Personaly, if it's a display tank I would not go the side drop only because of how they look. I use canisters for my display tanks. If not used for display, the side drop would only be for polishing and I would use one of the other type for bio filter. Again thats just my thinking. I'm also only a newbie to fish keeping so I am keen on seeing what others think. :)

1hopper what type of fish are you considering for the tank

this answer will help us understand bio load or the amount

of crap and other wastes produced for the filter to cope with

side drops are a very effective filter system but you need

large uplifts with a good airsupply to get the water turn over

with a gap of approx 5mm between the intake plates

the only real problem is it looks a bit ugly for a display tank

Chris

Hi 1hopper09

You said your other tanks were diseased.

Have you sorted that problem out?

Also Even with a devider I wouldn't be putting fronnies in with Tropheous.

From what you are saying you could have up to 55 fish in that setup . If they breed even more.

I think you will have big problems with water quality as Tropheous can be quite finnicky and prone to worms and bloat.

It sounds like a big tank but its not that big. To even consider that you would need a 4ft sump with about 8000 litres per hour pump and lots of filter media and wool.

I think you should just pick one of those species.

They are both expensive and the fish deserve to have a healthy existance.

Its good that you are asking advice and not just diving in.

The important thing is to accept the advice and do it properly.

Good luck.

Hi 1hopper09

You said your other tanks were diseased.

Have you sorted that problem out?

Also Even with a devider I wouldn't be putting fronnies in with Tropheous.

From what you are saying you could have up to 55 fish in that setup . If they breed even more.

I think you will have big problems with water quality as Tropheous can be quite finnicky and prone to worms and bloat.

It sounds like a big tank but its not that big. To even consider that you would need a 4ft sump with about 8000 litres per hour pump and lots of filter media and wool.

I think you should just pick one of those species.

They are both expensive and the fish deserve to have a healthy existance.

Its good that you are asking advice and not just diving in.

The important thing is to accept the advice and do it properly.

Good luck.

it would be nice if you read the script first before giving advice

All filtration "types" have their pros-and-cons. A tank to be considered properly filtered needs a turnover of 6- 8 times per hour.

Can a tank the size you are thinking of be turned over this many times with a side-drop filter?

In addition the cause of the water flow, that creates a current to flow into the filter will have limited impact only a short distance from the filter inlet - not a good thing if you are trying to limit tank maintenance.

In my opinion, for tanks of this size, the cons will outweigh the pros. And with a big tank, once it's in you have to live with the consequences of your decisions - that is, the bigger the tank the harder and more expensive to alter.

20" is also quite low visually for a tank of that length. If you're looking at a display tank, think at least 24" as a minimum.

In addition, comments such as;

and

im glad some ppl read first

are really uncalled for. We all have busy lives, as you do. Citypainter was nice enough to take time out to try and help. If he didn't read well enough, you should understand that he gets nothing out of trying to help a stranger out so have some understanding. All that was needed on your part was to repeat yourself to make sure he understands what he has missed reading. :thumb

Craig

All filtration "types" have their pros-and-cons. A tank to be considered properly filtered needs a turnover of 6- 8 times per hour.

Can a tank the size you are thinking of be turned over this many times with a side-drop filter?

In addition the cause of the water flow, that creates a current to flow into the filter will have limited impact only a short distance from the filter inlet - not a good thing if you are trying to limit tank maintenance.

In my opinion, for tanks of this size, the cons will outweigh the pros. And with a big tank, once it's in you have to live with the consequences of your decisions - that is, the bigger the tank the harder and more expensive to alter.

20" is also quite low visually for a tank of that length. If you're looking at a display tank, think at least 24" as a minimum.

In addition, comments such as;

and

im glad some ppl read first

are really uncalled for. We all have busy lives, as you do. Citypainter was nice enough to take time out to try and help. If he didn't read well enough, you should understand that he gets nothing out of trying to help a stranger out so have some understanding. All that was needed on your part was to repeat yourself to make sure he understands what he has missed reading. :thumb

Craig

thanks craig for all your info

and i am very grateful for your time, as you did stop to read my script and took time to aswer my question

and i have no intentions in offending anyone

rob :8

Archived