sump pump size

Robbo2232

Hello Friends,

I am trying to figure out what pump i need for my sump,

I have a system that is running 4, 4*18*18 = about 1000 liters

and the height it needs to get to is about 2 meters

its all running on 1 inch tubing.

i am not sure on what information i need to give.

any help would be good thanks!

A tank/s want to be turned over 5-6 times per hour, or more.

You’ve got a 1000 litres so 5000-6000 lph or better. Find a pump that can do that at the required head.

You have the cart before the horse, as plumbing sizes need to match up to the inlet/outlet size of selected pump. Not the pump to match up to the plumbing.

What ever the inlet/outlet size of the pump is that you eventually select has been designed as optimum by engineering experts, so plumbing down or up is counter to how the pump is engineered.

You may be able to cheat a bit with a manifold leading to the separate tanks if the existing inch sized plumbing is too small.

For example; From Pump – plumbing matching outlet size (of pump) – manifold – plumb down from manifold to the existing inch sized bulkheads.

You're only at Bangor come and see me if you want further help.

Also look at the power consumption of the pump...a cheaper pump drawing 230 Watts is a more expensive pump in the longer term that a more expensive pump drawing 100 Watts of power...the laguna brand is about the cheapest to run, but more expensive to buy.

Mike

Thanks all,

i have noticed about the wattage on some pumps i have been told that it works about to be $1 per watt per year.

any one used this pump?

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...14&catID=13

i think i am leaning to this one

Also look at the power consumption of the pump...a cheaper pump drawing 230 Watts is a more expensive pump in the longer term that a more expensive pump drawing 100 Watts of power...the laguna brand is about the cheapest to run, but more expensive to buy.

Mike

I agree with Mike's comments regarding drawing power.

You will get what you pay for when it comes to pumps.

Pay less and you get an energy hungry beast that is not made all that well and may well break down after a year or so.

Pay more in the beginning, get a pump that is not as energy hungry, has a decent warranty, is well built and will do the job for years to come.

I use Laguna Maxflo pumps on all my tanks, they are quiet, efficient and use lower amounts of energy compared to the cheaper brands.

I gotta agree with the others, you get what you pay for, although I have to say the last 2 pumps mentioned are great pumps, the JQP 7500 I bought for a good mate a few months back for his pond & his stoked. The Sedra Pondmaster I have & is remarkable for my 4, 6x14x20.

If I had extra cash around, I have to be honest, I would prefer the Laguna as have seen them in action over the years. I've dealt with AOA for many years as well & you can't go wrong with them, I'm not knocking others. :thumbup:

Regards

Ahmed ;)

The cost used to be about $1 a watt, but with the increases in the price of electricity it would have to be a lot more then that now.

Josh

I've had a Sedra 7200 in my sump for the last 12 months or so and can't complain at all. My system is approx. 1500lt with 32mm piping and it hasn't missed a beat. It runs quietly and pushes more water than the piping can handle, so I had to insert a loop back to the sump for the extra water to pump back to the sump rather than going through the tanks.

Like Craig said your piping is pretty critical in determining how much water can be circulated through your system. I didn't have much of a choice as I purchased a second hand rack and that was the hole sizes the tanks already had.

I don't know the other pump your comparing, but for hte extra output for the same running cost (170w) i'd go with the Sedra.

HTH

Shane

Thanks all for your help i think i am going to go with the sedra.

I also got a second hand rack and it has 1" piping, cascading to the lower tank, I too may have to lower the presure of the pump,,, just when i thought i was finished planning.

Archived