Continuation: Beat up Cobalt

Bedge

Hi Guys,

This is following on from my previous post about my beat up Cobalts, the other day.

I removed one of the beat up Cobalts in to the breeding net and fed him up. Today I managed to get the other little one and put him with the other. And he flipped upside down! I dont know whether he will recover? Or if he is done for? Before he was upside down, now he is kinda on his side. He is also doing a poo. hahha.

What choo reckon?

Video of him / her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIlNkOvhLzE

Ta.

Hello Bedge.

I've also lost a couple of nicely sized C.B. due to bullying. I think they really do best when they have a greater female to male ratio and also a larger number of both, not just three as they do tend to bully each other.

You are saying "he" a fair bit so maybe by not having any females, the males are just picking on each other for sole supremacy in your tank. BTW, this i what happened to my fish and the last male i have now is a real "cracker" of a fish.

I hope he recovers. You are doing the best thing by isolating him in that fry net, but the same thing will happen if he does recover and you re-introduce him to the tank, unless of course you get yourself two or three females for your dominat male.

Good luck.

Hey hey,

I'm assuming they are all males. All four of them. Two are quite large, the other two (who are getting picked) on are smaller.

Guys,

He / she is still motoring around this morning, slowly ... but he is hanging in there. Not sure if I should offer him a little something to eat or not??

Help!

Yellow could be right

You will be lucky to save him

Trouble is your colbalt is the boss, looks male, and want to finish your beat up one off,, he needs some females

poor old yellow is not getting a feed

have a look a how thin he is bedge. trust me its wasting. a general rule that i follow is that if a fish's stomach looks like the harbour bridge its wasting. try this, take him out and put him in your little net that you have there and feed him to death for the next few weeks. ill guarantee that he doesnt get any fatter despite it; thats wasting. it doesnt always kill a fish straight away in most cases its usually quite drawn out. ive noticed alot of fish in aquariums of late with wasting. its not your fault he probably had it when you bought him. id hoenstly kill him because in his case its pretty advanced and i doubt youll fix it(many sya that you can but i believe whislt you can manage it, you can never really cure it) and youll only risk the others through trying to keep him.

its crap but in this case its better to think about the community rather then the individual

Yellow could be right

:lol5:

john, please im always right... and humble, really, really humble.

Unfortuneately its true.. Do you watch if all of your fish eat? Does he miss out? Maybe he is starved and missing out?

If you want to feel like you gave him a chance, put him in a net and still feed him.. then let nature take its way

Good point Jason

i would do as yellow says now the C/blue is gone

You will soon find out which way it is.

I find if the fish is really bashed as your's looked

You need plenty of co2 to keep the fish moving over the next couple of days

I put an airstone under the fish in the net would help

Well the little guy is down the toliet now! haha.

So from bashed up cobalts to the wasting yellow!

This is all news to me. Thanks for the heads up and spotting it. The yellow is now in the net.

I have pondered about this skinny look over the last week or two, so maybe this is when it started.

That little one in question has always been a picky eater. Never as keen as the others. He tends to have a mouthful of flakes with the gang then will go to the bottom and nibble on what ever falls down. I tend to feed at both sides of the tank at the same time. I distract the bigger greeder ones with larger pellets and give the smaller ones vege flakes and spectrum one the other side. But they all do eat, and I do watch.

Soooo .. wasting. What is it? Is it a disease? Is it genetic or something? Or just literally something that happens when they don't eat enough? Can the little one recover? or is it doomsville? Yellow - you mentioned risking the whole tank?? More info??? ta!!

Now that he is in the net how much and often should I be feeding him / her a day. I usually just feed once at night time.

You guys rock!

Thanks!

Soooo .. wasting. What is it? Is it a disease? Is it genetic or something?

:dntknw: im sorry i dont know. i dont think theres anyone whos yet to clearly define it. i can only diagnose it. i relate it to a cross between cancer and aids. cancer because some forms of cancer can be cured if caught early; but the majority wipe you out. and aids because unlike cancer, its often contagious.

Or just literally something that happens when they don't eat enough?

i know its not that. you can feed fish with wasting as much as you want but it doesnt fix it. they still remain thin.

Can the little one recover? or is it doomsville?

this is controversial and others might say different (feel free to contradict me, but know that ill secretly hate you if you do :lol2:) but i believe that no one's yet to come up with a consistent and reliable cure for it. some people have tried metro combined with other meds with mixed results; for me it did nothing, for others it worked. in this instance though i wouldnt bother because your yellows too far gone for any of these things to work, and trying only exposes those you have left to the disease for a longer amount of time.

Yellow - you mentioned risking the whole tank?? More info??? ta!!

it can be contagious. but not all fish are always suseptible to it; americans ive found have a better resistance to it then africans.

Now that he is in the net how much and often should I be feeding him / her a day. I usually just feed once at night time.

as much as you want. i just said put him in the net and feed him for a week to show you that nothing good will come of it. he wont put on weight. i doubt hell even eat properly, hell probably just take it and spit it. trust me, do the experiment to see for yourself, then kill him. i recently went to collect a colony of l. friebergi that i was going to sell from a friends place, and when i arrived i found they had wasting. to my knowledge they were one of the few colonies of friebergi in sydney at the moment, but i bounced them all anyway. ive found that theres been a recent prevailance of wasting amongst many aquarists tanks because people are passing on affected fish instead of doing the same. ive seen it in alot of aquariums of late too for the same reason. like i said its like aids, it spreads and spreads, and if people dont knowingly put a stop to it then i fear alot more good fish will be killed by bad ones. it sucks to lose money and fish, but take solice in knowing that you did the right thing; the buck has to stop somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have a chance to reply. 1.30am on a Sunday morning. Wahoo!

Sooo, Yellow - you were unfortunately very right. The little skinny electric yellow died. Just suddenly. Wish I could say you were wrong! hahaha.

BTW - how do you euthanize a fish? Just out of curiosity?

BTW - how do you euthanize a fish? Just out of curiosity?

I believe that extreme and instant temperatures (boiling or freezing water) are about the most humane (and easiest) ways to do it.

Never use boiling water.

Here are three methods I have used.

Use an ice slurry as a rapid decrease in temperature from 26°C (or higher) to 4°C induces rapid loss of consciousness followed by death.

Sharp blow to the head followed by decapitation.

Clove Oil, which will anaesthetise fish, used at 1/4 ml per litre will kill fish after a couple of hours. Watch out that the fish is dead and not deeply anaesthetised. I would follow this up with decapitation.

Some people suggest to put them in the freezer but this is a slow death.

Archived