what does this mean ?

aymenz

hey guys..

i just need your help in this....

what does it mean when the fish swim up and down the glass and also side ways left to right or vise versa ????

my female brichardi always does it when i turn off the light at night for a while and then it stops and go again with the male....

is there anything wrong ??

if it happened to you b4 please tell me what's happening, b4 it's too late..

c ya

thx in adv

aymen

and go again with the male....

Do you mean that she stops for a while and then she and the male start swimming up against the glass?

Is the light turned off and the TV or some form of light still on?

Maybe they are just attracted to that. I remember seeing Andy's clown loaches do it as if they we watching what was on. They wouldn’t stop till the TV was turned off.

I have had fish do it before. Generally they have been new to the tank or the tank has had no décor in it to help reduce aggression. Andy's Maswa that I am babysitting are doing it right now. His males have dug hole's and set up territories that way so they don't do it but the rest of the fish do.

Or it may be as simple as they thought you were going to feed them and you turned the light off instead and as you are walking away they have their little noses pressed to the glass yelling "COME BACK AND FEED US.....PLEASE". laugh.gif

However, I have also heard some people say that this behaviour leads to death and by the sounds of things so have you and that is why you are asking. I have never had a fish die that was doing this. Hopefully, others maybe able to provide you with some instances and their findings. But adding or changing some of the décor around my fix your problem.

What size tank are they in and do they have any tank mates?

Best of luck

my rainbow cichlids seem to do it alot too, but they stop after a little while and go back to normal. I dont think its anything bad as they have done it since i got them and that was about 6 months ago.

thx guys for all the help smile.gif .... now i feel better from these comments,,, no death issue..... laugh.gif

ok here we go again... when i turn the fish tank light off i keep the room light on to be abe to study.... i feed them once when i wake up to go to uni which is about 9 am and then another time at night when i come back hom which is about 10 pm.... is this enough feeding ???

the tank mates are 1 pair of julis "gombe" and the tank is a standard 4 footer with alot of caves and hiding places which are suitables for the julies and brichardis... meaning there's caves made for the julies which are too small for the brichardie to try to access.... and vice versa....

alot of air in the tank....as well....

thx again for the help.. blush.gif

c ya

aymen

I moved my Chipoake from a 4 ft tank to a 6ft tank. They done this glass swimming thing for the first day non stop. It was like they were happy and loved their surroundings. Now the males have dug out a few holes but they still do it now and then. I like the look of it. They seem to do it in a big group. laugh.gif

Better than them chasing and fighting.

My red devil in another tank does it to demand food but the Melanochromis seem to do it in a shoal.

It certainly makes it easier to check their health when they display for you like that.

Archived