Lepperfish's Photo Thread

Lepperfish

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IPB Image

5DMKII

What's going on with the vignetting in this one? Did you add it in PP or is it a lens issue?

HDR has turned out not too bad - single raw file or from a single jpeg?

IPB Image

5DMKII

What's going on with the vignetting in this one? Did you add it in PP or is it a lens issue?

HDR has turned out not too bad - single raw file or from a single jpeg?

Vignetting is Photoshop added in PP. HDR is a single RAW image. I exposed it as -2, -1, 1, +1, +2. 5 total images and converted it in photomatix. It's my first one ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome additions... the first one is my favourite out of the two. It seems like an image of a beach in the spherical water droplet (or maybe I'm just being too imaginative lol)

Nah.. I think I can see MikeW's head in that water droplet, hehe.. Thanks for the comment. Here are a couple more that I did the same night. This was my first attempt at this. About 500 shots for 5 keepers, haha..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nah.. I think I can see MikeW's head in that water droplet, hehe.. Thanks for the comment. Here are a couple more that I did the same night. This was my first attempt at this. About 500 shots for 5 keepers, haha..

Haha, 500 shots lol... with only five keepers, not too bad I guess as it there are about 5% of shots (seems like 10x more than I would keep with my point and shoot lol). How fast did you have the shutter speed and/or aperture at?

Nice water drop pics :thumb

What can you tell us about the set-up? ie, where did you do it? How did you get the lighting? etc.

I tried water drops last year but didn't put a whole lot of effort into it, just basically dripping into a jar with a colour card in the background.

Check out Martin Waugh, his work is amazing. Ask him anything and he'll give you a personal detailed response.

Martin Waugh - Liquid Sculpture

Nice water drop pics :thumb

What can you tell us about the set-up? ie, where did you do it? How did you get the lighting? etc.

I tried water drops last year but didn't put a whole lot of effort into it, just basically dripping into a jar with a colour card in the background.

Check out Martin Waugh, his work is amazing. Ask him anything and he'll give you a personal detailed response.

Martin Waugh - Liquid Sculpture

Thanks Matty. I have seen Martin's stuff online before, not his actual website but a video he did with mythbusters filming the water drops. Have you seen it? It's on youtube and its amazing, in high definition. He has (Martin Waugh) one of the sweetest jobs ever!! I'd love to photograph that stuff all day and night.. It's certainly impressive. I might email him and ask some questions, it's cool that he offers a personal detailed response.

But I think with this sort of stuff it's a lot of trial and error. This was my very first attempt at this and I'm really happy with my results thus far. As I said I took around 500 shots to get 5 keepers, thats not bad in my opinion. Getting the water drops in focus is tough. I would have had a lot more keepers if the focusing was spot on even 10% of the time.

All I did was, was fill a frying pan up with water to almost the top. Then I pegged a plastic glad bag above the pan onto a cupboard handle (I need to be able to set this plastic bag up on a tripod or something better).

I had a tripod and monopod and I hand held some of the shots as well. The last 4 I posted were from the monopod.

I set up a piece of brown cardboard behind the frying pan and put my strobe on a large milo tin and aimed it at the cardboard behind the frying pan. This bounces the strobes light into the water. This is all there really is to it. And just take lots and lots of shots and you'll be sure to get at least some you like. Once you do it once you will know how to improve your setup for next time.

Hope that helps, and hopefully I have some more nice liquid sculpture to share in the near future.

Lepperfish :hug:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived