Orange Spot Male or Female?

Jamako

Hi all,

I have four of these guys, one is a guaranteed female, it has very small and short bristles around its mouth. The other three all look similar to this one. I think they are males. I just want a second or third opinion. :) This is a photo of one of them. Its about 8-9cm at the moment.

IPB Image

Thanks

Jason

Yeah I have a few breeding logs in the tank. Two are occupied and one is always free but none of my orange spots ever use it :dntknw:

Maybe I need to separate the four of them and give them their own tank? I have albino, they were sold to me as "golden bristlenose", breeding in the tank at the moment. Could this be putting the Orange spots off doing the deed?

Thanks

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have 4 of these catfish, the female has short [but almost non existant bristle on the snout.]

Would someone be able to give a scientific name fro this variant as I have been told several different names and L numbers.

That looks like a male.

it's a male , well the L number , that's a very good question , if you google it you get many results and if i look in my 4 books the fish look very different to the ones i keep as well .

so a little bit of research is needed here!

• 4 weeks later...

They will breed with other L or BN present though they generally are a little slower in my opinion to get going but once they do look out as they are very prolific.

Mine breed in the ceramic timber look logs and also in Matthews "D" caves.

After a bit of research and discussion with folks various the general concensus is that they fish we have here are Ancistrus sp. "Rio Ucayali"

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=638

Regards,

Brett

Also if the fish grow and bristles along the centre line of the head they are males, once a little stub pops up there you have a male, 100% my largest female is around 14cm and she just has what I term a Mo, just a sprout around the lip. :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Archived