Down to 3 choices.....

ViS

Well I finally got to have a play with all 3 contenders at once. JB HIFI had the 40D, D90 and K20D with an array of lenses.

After playing with them all, I'm 99% set on the K20D with the 18-250 lens.

The moron at JB blew the sale today though. He gave me two prices on the three options I was interested in. The body only was $1240 (cheapest online is $1200). The body with the 17-70mm lens was $1640 (cheapest online is $1560) and with the 18-250mm was $1940 (cheapest online was $1670). He asked if his prices were comparable with what I'd found elsewhere. I told him the prices and was about to say I'd definitely consider either the body only option or the 17-70 kit option, when he said "Not a chance mate, so don't even try", referring to the $1670 price I found elsewhere.

Needless to say he didn't get my business. <_<

Now I just need to find the K20D / 18-250mm kit for $1500 and I'll buy it :lol2:

If I come across a brilliant 40D or D90 deal, I'll probably get it, as both those cameras felt nice too. The K20D just felt that little bit better in the hands.

Feel free to let me know if anyone finds the deal I'm after :thumbup:

Well JB just redeemed themselves.

I went to another store as I had to look for a particular set of DVD's for my wife. While I was there I asked the camera guys why their ads all state they will beat any price, but they couldn't come close to the sydney shop prices stated above.

I told them what the moron at the other store said and they were very apologetic on his behalf. They asked what price I could get the K20D kit for. I said $1670 plus $15 P&H. They looked up their price list and even rang their pentax rep. The cheapest price they could do without breaking their cost limit was $1720. They showed me their price list and sure enough, their cost price was $1700 from their pentax rep. They said the shops selling the kits at $1670 most likely bought through the US, where they are obligated to use the Aussie Pentax rep, which adds a little bit to the price.

So I ended up taking the $35 hit in exchange for getting a local purchase in case of warranty issues.

I also grabbed a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III SD card for $50 which was pretty good.

So thanks for everyone's advice on this. In the end I went with my heart. I like both the Canon 40D and Nikon D90 options, but the Pentax just seems to be built for photographers, by someone who wants to use it. The controls are in better spots than the other two brands and it's a joy to play with, even from someone who's never used a pentax before. The reviews saying it's closer to the D300 than the D90 helps a lot as well ;)

I don't get it for a few days as they have to order it in. Will post up lots of pics next week I'm sure :lol2:

Thanks for sharing this journey. It has really helped me. I've got a lot of Pentax gear from the old K1000 (still a good camera IMO), so was interested that you chose the K20D. Hopefully in the near future I'll purchase one of these for myself.

Let us all know ho it performs

Bruce

Bruce, I don't think you'll have a choice. The forum will soon be flooded with pics from it :lol2:

It's funny. Pentax users are really unlike users of other brands (except perhaps Olympus users, and of course ACE users such as Lepperfish, Matty, Enigma etc who use Canikons are excluded lol). I've searched through countless Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Olympus forums to get user opinions, potential problems etc, and the Pentax users are definitely the least bitchy and the most dedicated to their hobby and equipment. The other forums seem to be constantly whining about how bad any other brands are. Pentax users all acknowledge the strengths of other cameras, but make excellent arguments why they still stay true to Pentax.

The K20D is an awesome all around camera. It may not quite pip canon or nikon in High ISO noise levels (1600 and above), but that's the only area where I'd say it is behind it's direct competitors in it's range (D90 / 40D / Sony A700). It excels everywhere else, in control, resolution, image quality and price.

Just think how happy I'll be when I actually have it :lol3:

Lastly, they've offered an extra 4 years full warranty for $150, including parts and labour, and a replacement of the newest model if the one I bought is out of production.

Worth it?

The camera shop just rang and said they just got in my new K20D with 18-250 lens.

You think that would be good news right? Well it is, but I can't get to it :(

I just had the big "V" day before yesterday and I'm sitting at home on the couch with a bag of frozen peas in a place they really shouldn't be, but feel oh so good :lol2:

My wife is out for the day and I can't drive the other car for fear of doing some damage while I heal.

Oh Fate, why must you mock me?

I should be sitting here playing with my new toy :cryblow:

No that's my old toy. Haven't you been paying attention dad? :roll

Anyway, I now have the camera and waiting until the battery is charged is killing me :cryblow:

I waited until my wife got home so she could drive me :lol2:

Ended up getting the extra 4 years warranty for $150 too.

They might be a little ordinary as I'm not in any condition to go hiking looking for good subject matter, but I'll see what I can find around the house tomorrow :lol2:

Just thought I'd add:

RAW seriously rocks on a good camera! I won't be shooting in JPEGs at all anymore :thumb

Yeah, there really isn't any point shooting jpegs on a DSLR as they require alot of processing anyway.. :thumb

far out!

i bought a Cannon Powershot S40 4 mp when digital camera just came out (4 mp was the max you can get)

how much did i pay you asked

yeb

$1500

still have it today...+ photoshop...all things possible...haha...

just buy the bloody camera mate

haha.. I got a sony cybershot DSC-F707 for I think $2200 (5mp) back in 2001... I still have it now, and still use it... Good camera when I can't be fugged lugging a DSLR around..

Yep my Canon G2 4.0MP Cost me over $1500 back in the day and that was near cost price :roll

Anyway here are a couple of pics. Still getting used to the thing, but I'm happy with it so far. Once I can get my hands on a 100mm macro, I'll be in heaven :lol2:

The ones of the family was with the sun behind them and no flash was used, so I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It's nice being able to use a higher ISO setting :)

They also look better in RAW and would look nicer in print than compressed for the web.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived