can't get my peps to breed

RafMed

Come'on we need some more information then that! :confused::lol4:

How old are they? How big are they? Whats the ratio? Water values? Time in the tank?

Peppermints need to be at least 2 years old to breed successfully. Alot of the time they need to be closer to 3 years. They are fussy about their ph value and i recommend that to be about 6.0-6.5. I'd say they would need to be about 8cm (female) and 10cm (male) at least to be able to raise some bubs. They can also take several months to settle in sometimes. Sometimes you get lucky and they breed straight away but its rare.

hi can anybody give me some ideas on how to bread peps? ive got wood,heaps of caves,They seem to b gettin bigger but still no action.. thanks for any freed back....

wow :lol4: thats heaps of info.... thanks... ive got bout 12 of them out of those 12 4 r male & they range in size from say bout 7cm to 10cm. most of the females r bigger or round the same size. ok ph don't measure it just do 25% water change wid in every 10 days. .i think ive had them for round a year more or less.. but ive bought them at diff times so i could get a good mix... oh wat is water values?

Your water values are your ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, kh, gh and temp readings. Considering you don't test your ph i doubt you would test any of the others. I recommend buying a 5 in 1 test kit or similar. You can buy pack of 25 five in 1 test strips around here for $25-30. Well worth it and will help you breed them knowing the water values. Your fish sound way to young to be breeding. I'd say you have another 12 months of waiting.

hi can anybody give me some ideas on how to bread peps?

:lol2: yeah yeah i know i'm childish :p .

try not cleaning the tank for a month, no light, even cover the tank. then do a large water change.

it depends though they may not be mature yet. you could try and catch the most mature male and female and put them in a tank by themselves.

invest in a test kit.

Yes its simple he/she needs to invest in a test kit or 2.

Get all you water parameters up to scratch and make sure you give them plenty of drift wood and more than 1 type of cave ( they will pick what one best suits them ). Also if you are not already doing it give them some pumpkin or zucchini rather than the algae discs all the time.

Get yourself some test kits give them a water change or 2 and it should spark your bigger ones to start breeding.

Cameron

Wat should my water values b? so when i get my test kit,i can adjust the water... oh and thanks for everybodys help... :thumbup:

No offence but that question should have been asked before you got the peps.

oh well.. ive got them... im learnin now

were all learning , step by step death by death , my peps do well in a two foot tank , feed them heaps and heaps , suck out what they dont eat , get one of mats caves with glass bottom , the females will get fat with eggs , orange, you can see them from the bottom , mine bred twice while i was away still twenty bubs growing up , they are so cute at this size.

Archived