It happens to all of us

Matty

I'm in a bit of a rut with my cichlid keeping. I'm happy breeding some saulosi in my 3 footer but am frustrated with the 6x2x2. I think it's because I've run out of fish to photograph. :dntknw:

The three options I have are:

- Salt water NLR and maybe get a few triggers or something similar. Downside is the $$$

- Tankbusters ie, Saratoga, Oscars etc

- or set up a planted display and have plenty of tetra's, loaches, labyrinth’s, cory's etc.

This last option is probably my preferred as it creates heaps of photo opportunities.

What do you suggest, bearing in mind I don't have a sump?

Seriously, go a geo habitat complete with nice wood (mangroves would be good), some plants and possibly some schooling fish.

I went from cichlids to saltwater......have not looked back!! I still have my African display tank which is still my baby, but now my 2 footer mini reef is coming along nicely.

It makes for an awesome display, as i sunk it into a wall between my breakfast bar area and my laundry room. A saltwater reef system would give tonnes of new photo opportunities for you.

Why dont you just drain the 6x2x2 tank and wait until you feel ready for fish again? Whether this takes a year or ten it doesnt matter. There are lots of things to photograph besides fish.

Good idea. Drain it and fill it with Red Eye Green Tree Frogs. Something new for you to take pictures of and they will stay still. :thumbup:

Not sure how many of you guys are serious or not but it is illegal to keep snakes in Tassie.

The saltwater option is out as it will cost more than I'm willing to part with. (or at least that's what my wife says :B )

Tankbusters are out too as I would probably get tired of taking pictures of them too. :(

My thoughts were leaning towards the planted display but man, those Tapajos are hot :wub plus I wouldn't have to worry about CO2 or lighting. I might have a chat to the LFS to see what's available.

What type of schooling fish are available to keep with Geo's?

Something like a bunch of congo tetras or similar might do ok. They get a bit of size on them and they are pretty agile.

I keep tiger barbs, loach's and ghost knifes with my Geos and they go well together. I had some neons in there but they went missing

hi,

my suggestion to get you inspired again is to look into the works of the great Takashi Amano.

Recently set up a largish tank and could tell you a few things about it. Most importantly, I would recommend that you cut a hole in the tank and fit a tap on it. This is so you can attach a hose and drain the tank or fill it if required. Beats using buckets to carry 450plus litres of water across the house.

I found it is a huge pain to set up a large tank, and costs hundreds just in plants, specially expensive if you buy a CO2 setup. CO2's can be made cheaply with advice from BOC gases.

Filteration is another biggie. Go to small you will regret it, and will end up spending more to get the bigger better one. Spend big in the first instance, go with a large Eheim professional canister filter, or go all the way and convers to a reef system that skims the surface and a sump.

Budget about $400 for filtering (modest) and $200 on CO2 then plans. Keep in mind that a rocks are cheaper and do not fall victims to plant diseases. Ever considered a Latex backing for your tank?

Possibilities are endless, such a nice hobby. Rewarding experience when you get it right, awful when you get it wrong.

All the best.

Just had a look at the Paludariums on the above website and am now intrigued, does anyone know where I could find out more about these beauties locally?

Archived