Suggestions Plz?

Daniel83

Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum and obviously love cichlid's, I have a two tanks, a 4 ft and a 2 1/2 ft tank I use the 2 1/2 for feeders and the 4 ft tank has an Oscar, a pair of Convicts, pair of Jack Dempsey's, a bristlenose and a few others that i dont know what they are. The thing is i want to start breeding them, to make some money.

What would you recommend i do?

Cheers!!

The blue / black male looks like a Mel johanni and the orange / yellow look like female johanni.

Cant see the Jd's.

2nd is johanni male

3nd pic is a johanni male just starting to show its blue colours.& female

5rd is female johanni.

I think you could run into trouble breeding them in that tank. the Oscars would be extremely aggressive when breeding and would most probably take up to much of the tank for the other fish to live comfortable lives.

The convicts would probably be the same.

The other fish look like checkerboard, Melanochromis interuptus, also a very aggressive fish.

I dont know that any of those fish would allow you to "make money" from them breeding. you may be able to cover some costs at best IMHO.

you also have fish from Central and southern America plus some Africans in there. typically they need different water conditions and diets but would survive with the right food and neutral water conditions.

The other thing is your location might pose some problems with getting rid of fry. I don't know what the hobby is like up there. You might need to talk to a few local shops and se what they would take from you in the way of fry

Josh

Yea, there is only one Oscar and he dose eat the yellow ones that breed in there(my wife calls them lombardies), and the JD's hide in that teracotta pot thing I've put in there,

How big do JD's and Convicts have to be to breed? Ill try and get a pic of them. and buy making money i ment covering my costs, i know i wont ever get rich breeding fish:) i just like to watch them grow.

thanks for the reply's

JD's about 10+cm will breed have seen smaller.

Convicts from 4/5cm,

Yep the Oscar will eat the fry.

The others are not Lombardies. Mel johanni ,, mouth brooders

Poor JD's are having a hard time { note fins }

really should not have the johanni in with them.

The JD's look close to breeding size, bottom one looks female.

But as said that Oscar is just to big for a tank that size.

By its self or another would be fine.

The JD breed on a rock/slate so would have to defend from the tankmates for the fry to live.

Looking at their fins they are barly coping as is.

Do a search on Google to get some info to help you.

I think you could run into trouble breeding them in that tank. the Oscars would be extremely aggressive when breeding and would most probably take up to much of the tank for the other fish to live comfortable lives.

The convicts would probably be the same.

The other fish look like checkerboard, Melanochromis interuptus, also a very aggressive fish.

I dont know that any of those fish would allow you to "make money" from them breeding. you may be able to cover some costs at best IMHO.

you also have fish from Central and southern America plus some Africans in there. typically they need different water conditions and diets but would survive with the right food and neutral water conditions.

The other thing is your location might pose some problems with getting rid of fry. I don't know what the hobby is like up there. You might need to talk to a few local shops and se what they would take from you in the way of fry

Josh

The hobby is pretty strong up here, and good trade arrangements are regularly made between a couple of breeders and the local stores. You just need to keep desireable fish. I'd seriously look at larger quarters for the Oscar, or moving the other fish to a different tank (if possible).

Archived