New tank with Electric Yellows

Alex D

Hey guys i was thinking about getting a new tank with probly about half a dozen of electric yellows.. The following question might be a newbie question but i really need a help on..

It will be just the yellows inthe tank cause i love them =]

Well yeah neways i was just wondering, What if i add in a bristle nose into the tank? will the yellows attack it? Cause it happened to me before, I losted about couple bristle nose in my tank... ( i use to have about 3 yellows in the tank.. but yeah its been awhile since i last raised any ciclids.. The tank it empy atm)

I already have a fish tank at home, Its about 1m wide, i have a log and these plants inside to provide some hiding places.. Do u guys think 6 yellows in the tank might be abit too mch? I most likely will buy the electric yellows from some of the breaders here on the forum so yeah.. Basically the question here is to know would 6 fish in my tank be abit too much? and whats the chance of them attacking the bristle nose?

Thanks.

what he said ^^

Although your bristlenose will stand up to almost anything the yellows will throw at them as it sounds like you'll be buying fry anyway. What sort of filter do you have?

i have a 3ft tank with 7 electric yellows only as well,like you,i love them too!!i also have 2 small bristlenose in there and they live peacefully together,but,dont buy an albino bristlenose cause my yellows attacked the white one and killed it within a day and didnt touch the normal ones,so beware,they dont like white!!!oh and yellows prefer a rocky environment rather than wood and plants but you could see how they go and change things around later if you like.enjoy them!!!

klw

i had a colony of 8 adult yellows in a 3ft tank for a short time till i had a 4ft ready...

filtration was a home made trickle filter water was crystral clear..

i had a large pair of bristlenose in with them they go fine together until the bristle nose spawn(once fry come out theyll get chomped)

another thing to think about and this is when they get older and

domination comes into play they tend to fight a bit over territory.

thats why i moved my colony to a 4x18x18.

make sure you have heaps of hidy holes

hope this helps

cheers brett

thanks for the replies guys..

Im using this external filter i got before, and it is still working.. =]

About them growing.. i'll think about that later haha! but yeah i keep that in mind, i try and see what types of rocks and stuff is available.. but sice my tank is abit small it would be abit hard to fit to many hiding places in there..

Unless u guys have any suggestions on what can i add into my tank? Like what type of rock is suitable?

hi alex,there are different sorts of rocks available,different colours too.the rocks i have in my tanks are called uno or eno rock?something like that :confused: they look really good they have lots of holes so the fish love them.just ring a few lfs to see who keeps rocks and any they have that you like will be suitable for your fish.

klw

Just make sure you have hiding spots for the catties as you said

Add them at night, then they find hiding spots & the fish leave them alone

Depends on size of yellows you buy & 6 would be easy & safe

If say yellow fry 4cm the B/nose 3/4cm will be fine and grow with the yellows

But 5/10cm yellows will kill 3/4cm b/nose fry

5cm you should be ok, feed yellows first then add B/nose and turn of lights first

I have B/nose in most of my tanks and have no probs with them growing up

Enjoy

John

i find that they don't attack bn much. i haven't had any problem with putting albino's in my tank. the albino's are about 1/3 the size of the yellows but the yellows don't bother them.

Me as well long as you feed the yellows when you put the a/b nose in i've had no probs

Just need to be carefull putting them in as they just think they are food and go for them

Not nice the bristles i would think.give the yellow a bit of a shock,

Archived