Zaire Blue Fronty's

Mbuna44

Word on the street is that there are some Zaire Blue fronty's that have popped up out of nowhere. Anyone aware if this is true. It would be great to see them get a foothold in the hobby.

Would love to get hold of some.

Regards

Mbuna

hmmm...the name that scares mnay buyers off.

I would engage in some serious investigation into these fish B4 putting your money on the line...no matter who is selling them. And if I was being offered any sort of garentee I would be wanting that sellers Mum & Dad's Address(and their First born child as collateral) B'coz it will be years before you know for sure if you have got what you paid thru the nose for.

And seeing as we are talking about word on the street...what is this rumour I hear that the real "Genuine" Strigatus only arrived within the last 3 weeks?

Any truth in that, anyone???

And there are also rumours about bent/crooked faced Alto's going aroung the traps...any truth in that???

Talk on the street is cheap and for that dollar I would be asking a lot of questions.

Well said Mazimbwe.

I'm checking the classifieds regularly to see if they're up for sale and especially to see who the *seller* is. In the meantime, taking your advice and researching all there is to know about Zaire Blues.

Lurker

I couldn't see your pics b4 but now it seems the links are working again. THose pics are awesome! :^:

Talking about frontosa's has anyone heard about a new 7 bar variant recently discovered? The 'Bulomboro 7 stripe'. Apparently they have much more yellower fins and gold over the body with much bluer faces. If anyone has a pic I would love to check them out.

Check this site out

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29426

hi,

I heard a similar rumour and price around the $700 mark.

Didn't hear sooty's name mentioned but the name of the importer sooty apparently gets his more-exclusive fish from was mentioned so I have no doubt the fish are there and that sooty has access to 'em.

As for guarantees of authenticity etc... All I can say is we're talking about fish that cannot be legally imported. To my mind someone who wants to buy an illegally imported fish with guarantees of authenticity etc is like some druggie asking his dealer to show his import permit.

:unsure:)

Blue Zaire this name seems to have mystical powers here. Well for what its worth i have a price list from the lake and there a lot of frontosa on it here thay are for all to see.

Bulombora seven-stripe

Blue Zambia

Kapampa blue zaire

Kalumba congo blue head

Frontosa flourescent

There are also these: bismark,maswa gold dorsal, ikola blue lightening. If some one can get them approved for the import list i will be happy to get them. As for buying blue zaire for $700 if you do you must have more money than sence but thats just my opinion.

Hi, all

Is it possible to got (any of the cichlids Nigel listed from the post before ) approved for the import list.

Surely others have try already, i take it.

But if there is a change, than i got the time :unsure

Regards

Tommy

I doubt you'll be able get any fronts added to the allowable imports lists anytime soon. Good luck though to anyone who tries.

Whilst we are one this topic, i thought i 'd pose a question to you all. Is it stated anywhere the legallity or otherwise of importing stripped eggs and milt? My thoughts: take a couple of ZB Fronts fresh from the lake in africa, strip them, cryogenically freeze milt/eggs, import them on dry ice, thaw them down, mix them, egg tumbler for a few weeks and there you go... To be honest, with a little reading from some of us on this forum with a scientific leaning, we may be able to do it. There'd have to be oodles of articles out there, could even practice on couple of fronts here first to get the technique down pat first...

Kind of skirting around the import restrictions but is what i have suggested actually stated anywhere as illegal?? Just curious.

VC

Interesting idea Camel - it has been discussed for years already :):

If milt is anything like human sperm, it will only last a few minutes outside the original host till it is rendered useless :lol: :D besides, dry ice is another ball game altogether when it comes to air freight.

anita, sorry if this is old ground that i am bringing up again, i hadn't seen in discussed before.

I didn't really think that the dry ice would be such a problem -- we often get international orders sent into the lab on dry ice. You need only a well insulated styro box and with enough ice it will last for a week. Granted the entire process would not be easy, but with somebody at both ends who knew what they were doing it may be possible. One huge advantage we would have on our side is the embryo does not need to be replanted anywhere after the process is complete. The hard bit i'd say would be trying to maintain viable cells through the freezing and thawing steps.

As to how long the milt would survive outside the host (ie. before it would have to be frozen) i have no idea. I would suggest though that milt may be a little tougher than sperm simply for the fact that it survives perfectly ok for a period of time just floating in the water whereas the human equivalent requires the 'ideal' conditions provided by the female member of the species.... :): :)

who knows? just a crazy idea of mine... anymore thoughts from anyone more than welcome.

cheers

VC

Hi all,

I've heard (don't know if it's true - and obviously no-one is going to give anything away!!) that banned fish can come through under the banner of allowables eg. "assorted peacock" may have some juvenille haps or other immature uncoloured sp. amongst them. How trained is the eye of "inspectors"? Are trets banned and could juvie fronts come through with these??? Just a thought . :B

merjo

re transporting eggs etc.

Firstly: I can't imagine you'd get any mileage convincing aquis people that importing eggs was a different thing to transporting the fish themselves.

Secondly: in the dark recesses of my memory I vaguely recall they used this technique to infest our native streams with brown and rainbow trout umpty years ago.

I think the eggs were fertilized and carried in ice-cooled water. Being coldwater fish they can cope with a temperature reduction which has the combined benefit of keeping them semi-dormant and increasing the oxygen carrying capacity of the water so the umpty weeks in transport.

I can imagine this would be an efficient way to transport large quantities as long as you could cool and rewarm them safely; just a shame it'd be virtually impossible to positively identify the egg species on arrival.

I know virtually nothing bout the live fish import trade, but i am interested in it and have been trying to learn more, this thread has sparked a lot of questions for me.

-Can you get a species added to the import list? I mean is this a set in stone list or is there room for definition, and if so how?

-It seems to me that transporting fish during the egg stage would make sense, it would allow for high volume of fish in a more managable state. Now someone has to come up with a good transport method. Wouldn't chilling the cichlid eggs kill them, what about warm transport?

Archived