Snail Pests.

Lurker

Whats the best way of getting rid of snails? My tank is going to be taken over at the rate their breeding. They are only about 5mm round at adult size, but i've noticed a large increase in quantity in the last month or so.

Thanks, Dave.

Will they harm any fry i have in the tank? At the moment i have a whole heap of bristlenose fry and just noticed yesterday that something else has bred as well. They look like neons i think.

Dave

Hi,

What type of snails are they? Rams horn snails are not as invasive as the grey spiral ones. You may find that if there are too many in the tank they will out compete the baby bristlenoses for food. Drop a piece of blanched zucchini in the tank and wait 20 min. They will cluster on it and are then easily removed.

merjo :p

just a thought.

putting zucinni/cucumber in there wouldnt the baby bristlnose also flock to it>? so just be a bit careful when picking it up. about clown loaches yes they will suck up small fry although from my experience they leave anything over 2cm alone.

The zucchini is a bit dodgy at best, as some snails ignore it totally anyway, but with BNs in there, you wouldnt have a hope :B and you shoul do it in the evening, just after lights out, they are reluctant to come out during the day.

If the tank is large enough (4' plus) get a trio of clownies.

For small mini-ramshorns, kuhlis keep them under control.

If you really want to eradicate them, you will need to strip and redo the tank.

Hi,

They sound like ramshorns snails which I have never found to hurt the fry. I have bristlenoses breeding in tanks with ramshorn snail and never found them to bother them. If you have huge numbers, they will compete with the food though. Personally I think they do more good tham harm (great tank cleaners). By the way, putting the zucchini in does work, and you will attract more bristlenose at night, so do it during the day. The bristlenose just drop off anyhow when you go to lift it out.

merjo

They sound like they might be your common pond snail. They generally are introduced to the tank as eggs on plants ("elodea" being the main culprit). I found that crushing them up when i could really gave my kribs a liking for them and they started cleaning them up all on their lonesome. Also dropping the temp of the tank (if feasable with your fish of course) also lowers their number. With a pair of kribs in a standard 2fter these little pests are under control and save my food bill. I still crush any that i see and wipe off any eggs i find (gelatinous blobs sometimes with tiny white specks of developing snails found on underwater surfaces) when i feed the fish.

How much are you feeding? It can be a case of over-feeding that allows snail populations to sky rocket. May take a little time, but try feeding a bit less.

Try a piece of lettuce placed in the tank, when it is covered in snails [it will be!!],

just lift it out.

Do this for a while, and it'll save you having to break the tank down.

HTH

Matt

I would be trying one of the natural control metnods before pulling a tank appart. Even totally stripping your aquaium is not 100% effective. You just have miss one batch of eggs on a plant or rock or log and before you know it you are back to square one. Plus there is all the hassel of recycling and establishing the tank again. A couple of small loaches (Botias) clowns are common and inexpensive but will eat eggs and fry.

Another snail predator not many people utalise or know about is the red claw crayfish. A small cray will clean out your snail problem and not prey on your fish.

Crays will nibble on some plants though as they get bigger.

Alan

A couple of small loaches (Botias) clowns are common and inexpensive but will eat eggs and fry.

Alan, do you know of any loaches that are not prone to digging up a planted tank and eating the anubias flowers? My clowns are a PITA as they do the above...

:p Sorry PHL, but that is just the nature of the beast. They have long pointy noses with whisker designed for just that,,,, digging. They also nip holes in your favourite Asian plants. But seeing as that is part of thier natural diet we can't really blame them. Hillstream or Kuhli loaches dont disturb plants but then they don't hunt down snails either. Guess we just have to live with the bad habbits of our favourite fish.

Alan

:( Sorry PHL, but that is just the nature of the beast. They have long pointy noses with whisker designed for just that,,,, digging. They also nip holes in your favourite Asian plants.

That's what I was afraid of; have nice holes in my Rubin Red, chewed Anubias Coffeefolia (funny they don't touch the normal Barteri), no more Anubias flowers! :)

I've gotta move some plants (val), and the tank they were is was infested with moluccan trumpet snails (the little ones in your gravel) how can i prevent moving the snails with the plants. I'm looking for tricks, ATM i have to wipe down every leaf with a scouring pad, and i have the horrible feeling it's the only way i can be sure.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Try putting your vallis in a solution of potassium permanganate as I found it to work as a disinfectant. Not sure if it will kill snail eggs though. Maybe someone else can validate!

merjo :(

Archived