Fish for our other halves

limegirl

I don't know about you, but I seem to end up with random fish I wouldn't usually buy all in an attempt to keep the other half interested - rewarding him for caring about my hobby.

I have just set up a new four footer and ended up with four glass catfish and a black ghost knife. Not what I had planned, but they are kinda cool ...

Have you guys sacrificed the big picture to make room for your other half's whims?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about you, but I seem to end up with random fish I wouldn't usually buy all in an attempt to keep the other half interested - rewarding him for caring about my hobby.

I have just set up a new four footer and ended up with four glass catfish and a black ghost knife. Not what I had planned, but they are kinda cool ...

Have you guys sacrificed the big picture to make room for your other half's whims?

I had to sacrifice a tank for the dark side (marine) :angry::shock::cryblow: but like wldcrd26 says if it get me more fish it is worth it :):thumb:thumbup:;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wish my gf was into fish as much as i am. She is slowly being more tolerant to my obsession tho :hug: Her dad wants me to set up a tank for him so she can get some fish she likes for his tank instead of mine ;)

no.... :no: definitely not, lol I can't even get my wife to feed my fish

:lol3::lol3::angry:

I'm in the similiar boat as robdog013 however she will feed the fish if I am away for work............

I find if I use alternate forms of bribery such as flowers ,dinner, a cat, etc I can snealk extra fish in without the need to seek legal advice. :thumbup:

I don't know if i'm lucky or not but my wife and i have the same passion for fishkeeping which in one way is good because she cleans the tanks but......we have 16 tanks and $900 a quarter electricity bills.........................................................

Surely your not serious? What are you running?! 16 marine tanks? 16 planted tanks? lol....

mvp oh i'm serious.

if you really want to know

lounge room- 5'x2' tanganikan bio type , fluval 305 300w heater, air pump, light.

lounge room - 3' standard, sth american bio type/ jack dempsey breeding setup filter as above

lounge room - 50cm x 50cm x 50cm cube- currently under construction

dining room - std 4' mbuna display sacem 1800 300w heater, light

dining room - std 4' south american community - internal filter 1000ltr hr, 300w heater, light

bedroom- 3 x aqua one ar380 tanks 30ltrs each? bnose breeding/ grow out tanks

(used on bed side tables and tall boy)

garage/fishroom- fully plumbed breeding set up comprising of

4 x 6' x 18 x 18

2 x 4' standard

3' x 3' x 2' sump

10,000 ltr per hr pump

3x 300w heaters

sponge filters

energy saving light over every tank wired up on one switch

50cm x 50cm x 50cm grow out, 100w heater, light sponge filter

4' stnd tank under construction

and i'm still not satisfied...............................

cheers justin

My missus doesn’t really understand why i keep fish and thinks the effort is not worth it. But she also shows curiosity at times, especially when they are breeding. She is into colours and thinks the fish in my display tank aren’t colourful enough (i think she has an image of marine fish in her head). Anyway some of the more colourful fish i have bought recently are more for her benefit than mine, such as e-blues & yellows & red jewels. They are nice fish, but for me colour is only one attribute among many when it comes to selecting aquarium fish.

• 4 months later...

When my tank sprung a leak a few days ago my boyfriend was rude enough to tell me to 'Get rid of the fish'. Now - I have been with this guy for 5 years now .. I find it insulting that he would even suggest the idea! It goes against every fiber of my being. A pet is for life, and that is that!

Needless to say he is only interested in Hunky when others show interest in him. Apart from that, he and his friends make jokes about cooking him up for dinner. Which .. just isn't even mildly funny.

:angry:

he and his friends make jokes about cooking him up for dinner. Which .. just isn't even mildly funny.

:angry:

lol.. my mates say that and even asked if they can bring some fishing hooks and bait!

I have a 3 x 18 x 20 tank with only 1 fish, a female malawi eye biter the wife took a fancy to.

Ohh and the other day she did'nt talk to me for an hour or so because I refused to buy her a pretty 'assorted peacock'.

Also the other day she insisted I buy T Moliro's so I said: you do know that I must then get more tanks! I got more tanks

You know your bribery is obvious when you are out shopping with the kids and pick up a bunch of flowers for the wife, and the 15 yo son says - "what you buying them for. You haven't snuck any fish in the house this week."

I put the flowers back and realised he has now learned a valuable life lesson.

• 2 months later...

The tropheus tank that i had in mind has now turned into a peacock tank because of my girlfriend. Stuck with a few angels aswell that i hadnt planned on keeping. But keeping her interested makes the hobby easier for me.

I warn all of you that the hazards of both partners loving the hobby are huge :yes:

Matthew and I bought our home for it's potential to house our fish room 67 tanks and still we want more :lol3::lol3:

$900 quarterly electricity bills - I remember those :lol4:

I warn all of you that the hazards of both partners loving the hobby are huge :yes:

Matthew and I bought our home for it's potential to house our fish room 67 tanks and still we want more :lol3::lol3:

hahaha.

The closest little fish store to me is actually run by a couple who said they basically ran out of rrom at home...so opened a shop. Not a bad consequence. $3600 a year is a tad scary though.

Everything i buy "becomes" hers eventually,after the initial ranting and raving about "why'd ya buy that?" and "you paid how much for that catfish?" they then seem to grow on her and all of a sudden her fish need feeding and water changes and tanks need cleaning but it is only my fish that get sick or die etc. :roll

hahaha.

The closest little fish store to me is actually run by a couple who said they basically ran out of rrom at home...so opened a shop. Not a bad consequence. $3600 a year is a tad scary though.

:lol3::lol3: that is why we ditched the electric filters and heaters long ago :thumbup: one thing I am certain of is that a retailer of fish I will never succumb to - strange beings those :lol4:

i have two turtles in a 5 x 2 x 2 tank which i would love to fill up with amerian cichlids but we do crazy things for women (or men) which ever takes your fancy, my missue has an eye for albinos i swear if i was born albino she would do any thing i say, albino B/N, albino peacocks, albino corys, albino birchird and she has been looking at those albino pig nose turtles floating about

Archived