surrogate mother

yellow

i recently bred my jaguars and decided soon after to get rid of the female.they had literally only bred the night before i gave her away and was fanning about 1000 eggs at the time.i had a female festae in the tank seperated by a divider.this female is forever laying eggs and i knew she was keen to raise fry so i took the jaguar females eggs and put them in with the female festae.she took to them straight away and has adopted her breeding colouration and hatched them this afternoon.she has currently moved them and is guarding them as if they were her own.i was just curious to see if anyone has seen this kind of behaviour before.

1000 eggs!!!

sounds like you will have your hands

full soon jas :thumbup:

Sound interesteing.Would love to see pics aswell.

Do you reakon when the fry get bigger she will notice that its not her fry and eat them all?

Sorry i don't know what the fry festae and jaguar look like when they are young fry.

What size do you usually take the fry out?

Good luck i hope they do well :)

Could you post up some pictures of this??

i cant the tank shes in cracked recently and when i patched it i left a gap which filled with water which in turn caused the glass to fog.

Do you reakon when the fry get bigger she will notice that its not her fry and eat them all?

Sorry i don't know what the fry festae and jaguar look like when they are young fry.

to be honest i think she knows and doesnt care shes always been keen to raise fry now that she has her chance i dont think shes concerned with what they are.it takes at least six weeks for you to be able to tell the difference between juvenile jaguars and juvenile festae

What size do you usually take the fry out?

you can take them out at any stage really its more a personal preference then a set rule.i wont be removing these ones im not really interested in raising fry at the moment

Heard of it before but looks like a big batch of Jags mate. I agree she will just keep on rasing the fry. Some girls just love it !!!

Ps ,,,, Is she ugly Jason??/ most fastae are pretty I think !!! Cheers John

i recently bred my jaguars and decided soon after to get rid of the female.they had literally only bred the night before i gave her away and was fanning about 1000 eggs at the time.i had a female festae in the tank seperated by a divider.this female is forever laying eggs and i knew she was keen to raise fry so i took the jaguar females eggs and put them in with the female festae.she took to them straight away and has adopted her breeding colouration and hatched them this afternoon.she has currently moved them and is guarding them as if they were her own.i was just curious to see if anyone has seen this kind of behaviour before.

that is a very interesting observation... please keep us updated :clap

id lean towards it being a female due to it starting to develop that black/blue dorsal fin but its still a little young to be 100% certain.i forgot to mention yesterday that the colouration that my female is currently showing is her breeding colouration she normally looks like this.

IPB Image

Archived