Rack Questions...

Ash

Hey peeps,

Continuation of the other thread about dividing the 6x18 I scored, got a few questions regarding the rack.

I'm planning on using 50x25 2.5-3mm RHS & have the design figured (only 2 tier), but a few important dimentions of the height variety need to be figured out - stuff to make it liveable.

How much gap (for access, netting/feeding fish etc) from the bottom of the top rails (supporting the top tanks) to the top of the bottom tank?

How far off the ground for the bottom tank seems best (18" high tank)?

I'm a shortarse so need to keep the top tank/s as low as possible - all tanks are 18" high.

So basically, what heights do you guys have your tanks at on your racks?

Cheers

Ash

The steel on my bottom racks sits basically on the ground. I have 200mm between tanks.

HTH

Josh

How much gap (for access, netting/feeding fish etc) from the bottom of the top rails (supporting the top tanks) to the top of the bottom tank?

I have 7 inches of clearance.

One thing to consider when working out the space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the rail above is to consider the thickness of styro, I know it isn't much but worth considering when space is at a premium.

Cheers

Ross

One thing to consider when working out the space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the rail above is to consider the thickness of styro, I know it isn't much but worth considering when space is at a premium.

ya, got plywood AND styro to account for in my case - got it figured & was thinking 20cm

Cheers guys :thumb

How will you be doing water changes? If you will be syphoning water from the bottom tank and your fishroom is not sitting on top of a hill, you'll need to elevate the bottom tank enough to allow an effective syphon or your water changes will take a looooong time!

I have 25cm clearance above my tanks and I find that works well. Plenty of room for nets/rocks/frysavers etc :thumb

If you are only shooting for 2 levels you should have heaps of room to play with. You could have 450mm below the bottom tank and the overall height of the top one should still only be about 5.5feet (which should be fine for you unless you are a hobbit :p)

I am a hobbit (5'6") so a little lower would be better

I do the water changes by draining a 4x2 that is on the same system so no issues from that regard - I can always pump it out on the odd occasion I have to drain it

Archived