Siphon to sump

moldyform

UPDATE

Have decided to drill.

Brought a 60mm d.d and am attempting a vertical drill.

This will be a surface skimming whole. pipe will go through then up at an angle to the surface. Attached to this will be a pipe with a 5x2 inch slot cut in it. This allows water to be skimmed, acting like a weir.

There also will be a siphon which will go over tank wall and siphon from near the base of tank. Near the top of this siphon, below the water level i will drill a 3mm whole as protection against power failure.

Any other hints or advice is appreciated.

Cheers

syphon will not work!!! you will never be able to perfectly match the flow rate between the pump and water entering your sump properly.

Andrew the beginning of this thread is a bit misleading, but when you dig a little deeper it turns out the syphon is only being used in addition to a normal gravity-fed system (I think :dntknw: )

I had the same thoughts as you originally. Very scary idea!

Sorry for the confusion in this thread guys.

Baz has it worked out. :clap

Gravity- Fed system

This will be a surface skimming whole. pipe will go through then up at an angle to the surface. Attached to this will be a pipe with a 5x2 inch slot cut in it. This allows water to be skimmed, acting like a weir. THis controls the water level in the Tank. The higher the water level the faster it will go out this slot. Hence maintaing the correct water level is obtained as this slot can be moved up or down alowing more or less water to flow in.

+

Siphon

There also will be a siphon which will go over tank wall and siphon from near the base of tank. Near the top of this siphon, below the water level i will drill a 3mm whole as protection against power failure. Power goes out, siphon stops. water is siphoned out until the 3mm whole reaches the surface and sucks in air. siphon stops.

Power comes back on, and gravity fed system takes 100% of return flow from sump.

Siphon will need to be primed with the aid of a "caped suck pipe". Easy!!!

I share your fears in siphons, but if done correctly and tested not much can go wrong. Can it???

I am going to use pipe from bunnings (PVC) which ive found fits well into the black irrigation fittings from bunnings.

Cheers

Archived