Setting Up New 4ft

sean

Hi everyone just got a new 4ft and im looking to put a couple of breeding pairs in there

i was thinking of 2 breeding pairs of cichlids but am unsure what to get i want

*something that is easy to breed/spawn

*not to agressive

*cave spawner

so far i have a breeding pair of red jewels and a pair of convicts vut would like a couple more pairs :)

willing to any advice or opinions ?

G’day,

What is your main aim, to maximise breeding success or create a community/display tank? It’s not always easy to combine the two.

You may have reached your limit as far as breeding pairs. Jewels and convicts are not exactly placid while breeding and I doubt if there is room for another pair of cichlids to establish a territory and raise fry successfully. The addition of one or two singles of similar sized species might work, as would mid-water fish such as large tetras, rainbows etc. Again, it all depends on what you aim to achieve with the tank.

Also, you might like to give some thought to water conditions (pH, hardness etc).

Some fish from Lake Tanganyika may meet your criteria but they require significantly different water contions to those required by Convicts and/or Jewels.

Cheers,

How have you bred Jewels? I hear it's very difficult to find a compatible pair.

I have my pair in a community tank. I might try isolating them later, see what happens. :p

As for the above maybe blue dolphins?

Sean,

Are you wanting to add more breeders to your existing tank of convicts and jewels? If so, you probably stick to similar smaller cichlids like rainbow (multispinosa), blue eyes (spirilum), salvini or braziliensis. If not sharing the tank you might like to try something a little harder like a single large pair of synspilum or black belts or some geophagus. These are little harder/challenging but similar enough to utilise some of your existing experiences.

Or try some mouthbrooders. A colony of Red humps are great starters.

Archived