Cleaning Tanks One Handed?

AzFish

Hey Everyone,

I'm going in for a total shoulder reco at the end of Month, just wondering has anyone ever had to clean their tanks one handed? Im sure I can get a hand from a Brother or something but If I need to do an urgent water change im going to have to manage!

Any ideas on how I can make this easier on myself? I wont be able to use my left arm for about 3 months post op ... looking at any ideas for holding siphon hoses in place ect, anything that is going to make this easier to manage.

Cheers,

Aaron

Actually I had this issue, albeit for only 8 weeks, last year with a busted arm.

Did not have many dramas, just took my time with 3 tanks (2X3ft and a 5ft). I used the hose from outside for any filling of tanks and made sure that I had the hose running outside on the end of a self starting gravel vac.

Think about anything you need 2 arms for and work out another way to do the same thing with one. I suppose there must be one armed :raisehand: fish keepers out there.

Good luck

John

A good idea to hold siphon hoses in place is one of the U-shaped hose holders that you usually find holding your washing machine hose in the sink. You should be able to buy one from a hardware store or somewhere that sells washing machine spare parts.

Procure a powerhead from somewhere, make sure whatever hose you use to siphon water out (I use a long length of garden hose) will fit the outlet on the powerhead. Pump water out with powerhead into the garden/sink or wherever - most have suction caps so it should be a hands free affair.

To fill put a large tub preferably on a table or stool beside your tank - fill it and add your conditioners etc. Use powerhead to pump water back into tank, the higher your water container the better as if it's on the floor depending on the powerhead it may not have enough grunt to pump water up the line and into the tank.

So there - that method should eliminate any manual handling issues that you moght have :)

Good luck with the op :thumb

thanks for all your help guys! Im going to get some water barrels or something similar and use those to store water in then pump the water back into the tanks once ive finished cleaning them!

Cheers,

Aaron

I have a broken wrist right now and did mine one-handed today (however I also used a chainsaw this afternoon so perhaps my one-handedness is not quite as bad as yours will be ;) ).

My syphon hose hooks onto the top of the tanks so I never have to hold it in place. I use the same hose to fill the tanks.

The only time an extra hand would have been useful was when changing fittings on the end of the hose (from draining to garden, to filling from hose) but I managed by holding it between my knees and grunting lots :lol2:

C'mon Baz......................tell us how you broke it

I think it would be more interesting if we all guessed how he did it. :lol4:

My bet is on,............hmmm lets see,............a nasty rollerskating accident? :p

Not even close Matty :)

And Waz it had nothing to do with feeding the chooks!

Although you'll be pleased to hear I am now typing one-handed ;)

Damn........my fist thought was it was something to do with the chooks or digging up the veggies from the new plot.

Maybe......... it was from when YEW twisted your arm up your back, trying to convince you into stopping the flood of emails hes been getting. :lol3:

Archived