whats wrong with this frontosa

robfishfan

you can start with a water change straight away mate put a bit of rocksalt in with the new water and get your parrametres etc setup prior to adding it . im not a frontosa man but it wont be long before someone knows mate and makes a post but start with that.

gee that video is crap!

are well that's best i can do tonight ,sorry about that ...

so i just got him on the weekend and hes over 15cm and swiming on his head the poor bugger?

i might move him next day to the hospital tank but every one else is fine,

6 large pleckos , large clown loaches manganos 15 other frons

i might move him next day to the hospital tank but every one else is fine,

6 large pleckos , large clown loaches manganos 15 other frons

I love clown loaches.. :hug: How large are they? Any pics?

My giant gourami had this problem when i got him, it was a combination of gill fluke and a stomach parasite that affected his swim bladder.

My treatment was a salt bath where i started him of in normal water then rose the salt levels up until it was very salty and he was breathing heavily (u will need to taste the water urself to see know how salty it is)

but only leave him in the salt water for around 4-5mins then put him back in the isolation tank.

Next it will benifit this fish if u get out to ur LFS and get an anti-parasite remedy (i use and recommend the one by Aquarium Science)

I had once one of my fronts started to do this, but not as bad, only now and then it would swim on her head, but after i change the water with aged water it stopped never happened again. but then again my water quality at that time wasn't good cause i wasnt home for 6weeks. dont know if its the same thing though. Hospital tank sounds good.

Hope he/she gets better.

Cant see a thing on that video.....you say you just got the fish? It isn't one of the wild caught is it? they, as well as females have a tendancy to gulp air and bobb around doing head stands... Equalising with salt is a good idea, in extreem cases I know a guy who has used a needle to pop the swim bladder, this helps out the fish and the tissues can repair themselves pretty quickly. see how it goes!

When I first received my wild caught "Ikola Blue Lightning" Frontosa a year ago, one of the females used to regularly take a mouthful of air at the surface and exhibit the same behaviour. This same female also used to pick up a mouthful of rocks from the substrate and swim around pretending she had a mouthful of eggs. Considering how much these guys cost me, I was really worried at the time, but this behaviour stopped after a few weeks and this female has become a good healthy little breeder.

Cheers, Doug

ok guys so far so good , gave the fron a salt bath for 5mins untill he was almost trying to jump out , put him back checked my ph and got it up to 8.5 and added a cup of salt to the main tank as well , all frons are looking good now , but my head standing fronty was still do that the day after and this morning as well , tonight he has stopped and fingers crossed , i had a chance to talk to some other people who had the same problem and they went to the vet and got some Metronidazole , a cupple hours after treatment he was back to normal again , i have ask a vet since then , and she has warned me that if used the fish can suffer neurological problems , so fingers still crossed , has anyone else tryed to fix this problem with this medication ?????

cheers guys thank you for your advice so far and yes i know my video is crap.

Avoid using a strong mediction like metro. Just give him another day or so. I won't make a diagnosis based on your description, i would prefer to see a clearer video. It should be quite clear if its holding air as you would see the bulge under its mouth.

Archived