Moving those huge aquariums

firemike

hobcas, that is a good effort of 4 blokes lifting with the 8 x 30 x 30. We struggled with 4 blokes to get my 6 x 30 x 30 tank in even using those glass suckers. We then has a problem whereby the suspended contrete slab could not sustain the weight of the filled tank. The floor was already cracked, but the crack got worse as we filled it. Suffice to say, I was succesful in convincing my landlord that he should fix it and that he should in the meantime reduce my rent due to the defective building structure.

safest easiest way (not the cheapest) is to hire a small crane to lift it to the balcony and have a few guys up their waiting for it, save you ALOT of stress! My mate did this with his 8x30x30 into a 3rd story apartment, alot less risk that way too.

id be surprised if the an apartment floor would be built to handle that kind of weight... I was chatting to an engineer and he was saying about 6X2 is the heaviest you'd want to go in an apartment without further reinforcement (depending on size and what else is in the room)... i.e. for me i was in a house and a 6X2.5 was a no no

Well it's finally in the unit (photos soon). It was pretty tough with the stairs just because of room and the guy lifting from the top was in an awkward position and had a heap of weight to himself.

From the experience, suction cups are the best moving tool ever. I don't think it would be up here without them, I highly recommend getting them for any moves you do in the future, no matter how big the tank is.

<-- Hopes he never has to move :)

Just saw this thread a little late... I have used fridge trolleys and moved 6x2x2 and 8x2x2's end on by myself quite often. I think they are called stairwalkers. - The heavy duty trolleys with 3 little wheels which you can pull up/down stairs. They can be hired if you cant borrow one.

You just need another person to help you stand the tank up on its end (with trolley underneath) and throw the trolley strap around it to keep it there. Quite easy especially around corners and staircase landings unless the stairs have no headroom. The rubber suction holders have a fair amount of warning if they give way as they need to be pumped to make the vacume. They will show any failing vacume so can be used with confidence.

Anyway glad the move went well. I hate the jobs where tanks need to go in thru windows or walls/roofs need dismantaling for access.

Just saw this thread a little late... I have used fridge trolleys and moved 6x2x2 and 8x2x2's end on by myself quite often. I think they are called stairwalkers. - The heavy duty trolleys with 3 little wheels which you can pull up/down stairs. They can be hired if you cant borrow one.

You just need another person to help you stand the tank up on its end (with trolley underneath) and throw the trolley strap around it to keep it there. Quite easy especially around corners and staircase landings unless the stairs have no headroom. The rubber suction holders have a fair amount of warning if they give way as they need to be pumped to make the vacume. They will show any failing vacume so can be used with confidence.

Anyway glad the move went well. I hate the jobs where tanks need to go in thru windows or walls/roofs need dismantaling for access.

Oh those fridge trolleys would be excellent. I enver thought of it :)

My favourite part was dragging the tank on the carpet!!~!!

<-- still sore.

Archived