Moving those huge aquariums

firemike

Hi All,

I am in the process of getting a very large aquarium (800L approx). What I would like to hear about is different ideas on how to get this thing picked up and delivered.

I have a mate with a big ute, but I'm not 100% sure if it will fit the tank (which is 2.2m long). So not only is it extremely long and heavy but it would be awkward getting it up 2 flights of stairs into my unit.

A thought I had was to either ask a removalist company if they can move just the fish tank for me. Or maybe even ask an aquarium shop (strictly aquarium etc) if they can offer services like this. That would be ideal I guess since they would have all the right tools/levers/trolleys to do so. It doesn't have to go far (bankstown to ryde) but I'm sure it's going to be a difficult task.

If anyone has some input in regards to moving fish tanks that are bigger than people I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Mike

first of all get a tape measure. go and measure your stairwell in the unit . is it 8ftx2ftx2ft? check height aswell due to having to stand the tank up to get around corners etc etc go over the route in your head because you might not be able to get it in? go to an aquarium close by and have a look at a tank the size that you are getting to visualize wether or not its going to fit? you could also ask the aquarium on this forum the sponsor for a quote on relocating the tank ? they will set it up for you and get everything started aswell?

Also, check you're floor can hold the tank. The neighbours wouldn't appreciate that dropping into their house.

Bruce

Heh, that would be really bad....

But yeah big tanks are heavy....only way I know of is for a sturdy back on either end, lots of #*#$! and gritted teeth.

Also, check you're floor can hold the tank. The neighbours wouldn't appreciate that dropping into their house.

Bruce

lol, that would be an interesting way to increase my unit size. I'm fairly confident it's solid concrete between the units but it wouldn't hurt to consult the body corporate.

There is no issues in regards to stairwell height which is good. My main concern was that of actually moving the aquarium. I called a fish place today and they suggested just hiring a trailer that would fit it (and some dudes from the local rugby team :p). They also mentioned 2.2m isn't big? Huge to me :)

Thats for the feedback, just trying to make sure I cover most bases prior to shipment.

if your local lfs reckons a 2.2m tank isnt big for a unit they are kidding themselves. why is it that they didnt want anything to do with moving it and told u to get a trailer and the local rugby team?

I helped a mate get his tank up to his 3rd floor unit. We stood the tank up on its end when we reached every landing on the stairwell and dragged/slid it on the carpet placing a thick piece of cardboard under it. That way we didnt risk damaging the tank in anyway. So basically we tilted and lifted up the stairs, then stood it up when we hit the flat stuff.

It took 4 (strong) blokes, his nagging wife, All his neighbours freaking out and a few *@#%'s to get it up there. :lol1:

But it can be done...

Or the other alternative is uummmmm........ MOVE ! :thumb

Good Luck.

Theo

Guest parallel

Give Wayne a call from Xtr's (not a sponsor here anymore I think) but from memory one of their services are moving tanks.

Cheers

Parallel

Give Wayne a call from Xtr's (not a sponsor here anymore I think) but from memory one of their services are moving tanks.

Cheers

Parallel

XTR? Yeah I'm really after some sort of tank moving service. Failing that my rubgy mates are set for the weekend after ;)

Cheers

Parallel

XTR? Yeah I'm really after some sort of tank moving service. Failing that my rubgy mates are set for the weekend after ;)

Correct, I'm able to help, but i'm no rugby player...

Agreed, height or stairwell won't be a problem... carrying it a hundred metres+ and up a couple of flights of stairs is what's going to be the problem!

IMO your greatest dilemma will be whether to use the backs or the forwards. :blink

Forwards will be strong enough but perhaps not intelligent enough, likely to want to smash the tank into smaller pieces to get around the corners. :p

Backs well.....after all the hard work is done and you've nearly made it their likely to drop it....... :)

XTR = Xtreme Aquriums and they set up / lease / build / maintain very large tanks.

Good Luck

safest easiest way (not the cheapest) is to hire a small crane to lift it to the balcony and have a few guys up their waiting for it, save you ALOT of stress! My mate did this with his 8x30x30 into a 3rd story apartment, alot less risk that way too.

safest easiest way (not the cheapest) is to hire a small crane to lift it to the balcony and have a few guys up their waiting for it, save you ALOT of stress! My mate did this with his 8x30x30 into a 3rd story apartment, alot less risk that way too.

A crane! man we are talking serious now.

It's not an issue to get it up the stairs. The new issue is getting my ebay seller to co-operate.

I'll call XTR and see how I go.

Your looking at the ebay king right now. :p

What's the issue with your ebay seller?

Oh and a crane? That's crazy. How high's your ceiling?

Why don't you just carry it vertically. It'd be like carrying a tall fat man. 4 guys should do it.

Your looking at the ebay king right now. :p

What's the issue with your ebay seller?

Oh and a crane? That's crazy. How high's your ceiling?

Why don't you just carry it vertically. It'd be like carrying a tall fat man. 4 guys should do it.

I've confirmed physical access is not an issue. It's just getting the strength and 3 mates ;)

RE: Ebay, they don't want to accept cash on pickup, they want to be paid in advanced. I would think if I'm picking the thing up, it's easiest for everyone to just pay then. Whats you're advice ebay king!

Tall fat man? haha I like it. (btw I'm an iron maiden fan too)

Back on topic, I called XTR, but they're a little expensive for what I'm doing ($600+). So it looks like I'm going to just hire a trailer.

I also want to get a mini reef installed, would that be easily done when it's in my unit? Maybe there is a service out there that will pickup my tank, install a mini reef system and deliver it for $600. Anyone? :)

Get all their details so you can kneecap them if they're not on the level. (edit: that was a joke if it wasn't bleedingly obvious, but still get as many details as you can to cover yourself)

They might be worried about you showing up & just robbing them

Got a link to the listing, I wonna have a look through the guys feedback.

I've never heard of someone not accepting COD with pick up as an available option.

Two ideas come to mind though:

1. The tank has a defect (probably unlikely, but I'll have a look through the sellers feedback for ya.)

2. There worried about you turning up with 3 other guys to pick up the tank.

I would offer to help with the moving, but I have mid sessions coming up at uni.

Try asking around the forum though. Most members are pretty nice.

My tank is 3m long, and weighed a lot. 6 of my gym mates struggled with some of the glass suction cup things that I hired.

(however, they did enjoy looking at there bicepts in the tanks reflection :))

If I every relocate, i will either sell the house with the tank or hire removalists to do it, its just not worth the effort/stress.

My tank is 3m long, and weighed a lot. 6 of my gym mates struggled with some of the glass suction cup things that I hired.

(however, they did enjoy looking at there bicepts in the tanks reflection :))

If I every relocate, i will either sell the house with the tank or hire removalists to do it, its just not worth the effort/stress.

I now have 5 (inc me) to move the tank this weekend. Doing it with suction cups too, where did you hire them and how much did it cost :) It's scary to think a heavy tank is being held up on suction alone!

I'm comparing it to my mates 6x2x2 we moved, it was much easier than I anticipated, but then again that extra 37cm might the turning point from easy to screw this it's too heavy. 3m is much bigger again, damn got photos!

I've used the suction caps when moving my 8fttx2.5ftx2.5ft 12mm glass tank they make a huge difference, we managed to move it with just 4 of us but we certainly didn't need to go up stairs.

Make sure you thoroughly clean and dry the area they are going to grip on, we had a case of one of them letting go while moving....very scary.

I hired them from Kennards ($80 for 4) but I have heard the St George aquariums will lend them to you for free if you leave a $100 deposit each.

Good luck

Archived