New 6x2x2 journal

Dreamwater

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if you know but carbon in your filters will help with the tannin...however the fact that you know it was called tannin implies you know how to combat it ;)

I also like Purigen, it works great AAAAND you can renew it with bleach.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure do Huzzy, actually put 250ml of Purigen in 2 days ago, and tannins almost all cleaned up already...damn that stuff works a treat!

Glass lid turned up for the sump with the 50mm hole, 4 arm spinner all put in, spray bar that was in to reduce the return flow has been removed and return pump finally running at full speed....so in total including cannister I have approx 5000lph turn over....

Made up a new Durso using 1.25" pipe then using a reducer to the bulkhead, works an absolute treat! , previous one was only using 1" so was too restrictive with the flow.

Tank is pretty much finished now, maybe a few more rocks on the right side to make a few more caves and thats pretty much it!

All I need to do now is source my Geophagus Tapajos (Anyone?? :p ) and will be as happy as a crab in a shell.... :lol2:

IPB Image

EDIT - thought I would add another pic....this is pretty much what I see from my desk all day and night in my office at home while working...

IPB Image

Thats my Sev "George" in his usuall position nearly all day when I am at my desk, when ever I look up he is staring, and if he notices me looking he starts dancing up and down the glass head shaking and carrying on for some attention....or it could be for the blood worm treats lol....

• 2 weeks later...

Dreamwater - this is an absolutely brilliant thread... you're tank is very much what i'm looking to setup. I'll be annoying you for weeks to come :)

I'm interested in your substrate (Blue Circle pool sand)... can you tell me how much it cost you, and don't suppose you would know if it would accomodate some live plants?

Furthermore, do you still have a prefilter on your durso stand? I can't seem to see it in the latest photo.

Very well done!

Hi and thanks Willo....

Pool filter sand was around $20 per 20kg where I got it from the closest clark rubber to where I live, but have seen it cheaper in capital cities...

All the plants in mine are live plants and they seem to be doing fine (if my Sev dont get to them lol)

If you have any Q's ask away....

Tunnel Rat - you will be happy to know the sand covered PVC pipes have been removed...lol, I am seriously considering removing the CBNs as well as I have had enough vaccuming their crap every 2 days or so...they are absolute pooping machines with so much wood in there!!!

For a while I didnt even use the durso due to the flow at the spinner being too restricted at the time, since I have upgraded to the 4 arm spinner I have full flow again and was able to put the durso back on, and just havnt put the pre filter back on, which I will be doing soon though (not that it is really needed, but think it will be more beneficial)

Dreamwater, can I ask why you removed the PVC piping that returns the water from the sump? I thought it would be a good idea so the water is dispersed along the length of the tank... perphaps?

Dreamwater: just out of curiosity, from one of the first pics of the sump it looks like the partitions are quite high. when its running is majority of the bioballs submerged under water?

if it is you might consider changing some of the submerged bioballs for some other media, such as koi matting or something similar.

HTH just my opinion.

Dreamwater, can I ask why you removed the PVC piping that returns the water from the sump? I thought it would be a good idea so the water is dispersed along the length of the tank... perphaps?

I originally put it on as a spray bar, though due the the weir height and the height of the return, the bar was underwater, so since it was underwater it wasnt a spray bar as it wouldnt break up the water surface...I then put it back on to reduce the return pumps flow due to the probs the smaller spinner bar in the sump was causing (explained in a previous post)

Also now without the bar on there, it creates a better current and water flow throughout the tank.

Display reasons? A big piece of white PVC in the tank, although it works well it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Bruce

That was another reason :thumb

Dreamwater: just out of curiosity, from one of the first pics of the sump it looks like the partitions are quite high. when its running is majority of the bioballs submerged under water?

if it is you might consider changing some of the submerged bioballs for some other media, such as koi matting or something similar.

HTH just my opinion.

Thanks Momo

The baffles are not too high though, in fact they are pretty much spot on in maintaining the water height to cover the return pump.....There is a piece of filter matting in there it is a bit hard to see in the first pics of the sump...but if you have a look again at the first pic of the sump you will see the bottom bio balls sit pretty much even with the top of the lowest baffle....in actuall running effect the bottom inch or so of bioballs are under water... but thats all....

Thanks DW. I do like the thought of a spraybar... anyway, not wanting to hijack your thread, can I ask what the best way to start adding water to the tank is? Should I add a durso, or just put water in the weir, return the water to the weir and just watch it cycle that way? I understand this might be a real n00b like question, but that's what my thought was. Then perhaps add a dorso. It's all exciting, yet daunting at the same time :)

Willo, one thing I cant stress enough is to plan EVERYTHING before you start adding water! There are so many things I wish now I had done which should have been done prior to adding water and fish...I could still do most of them now, but with a lot more difficulty!

For example...first thing that comes to mind is plan your plumbing, especially internal, I should have worked something into the return to create more water movement along the substrate, ultimately an UGJ system (under gravel jets) would have been best to help with moving waste off the substrate so filtering will pick it up....but even just an extended pipe running to the bottom and then 90 degree bend to push the water around the bottom to lift waste etc up off the sand will work....I may try that myself before attempting a UGJ with water in tank (will post up here how it goes).

In answer to your question, doesnt really matter if you add the durso to begin with or afterwards, but probably a lot easier to begin with, especially if you wont have access to the back of the tank if against a wall.

I found it easy having it in there first as it enabled me to mostly fill only the weir with water to test for leaks around the bulkhead, which I am glad I did as I found the bulkhead didnt have a correct seal...if you dont want to add the durso, simply block the opening or place a foot or two length of pvc in the bulkhead to allow you to fill it to at least half way (higher is better) to duplicate the pressure the bulkhead will experience.

Once you are sure it is sealed correctly and everything else is done, ie. 3d background (if you are doing one) substrate, any larger decorations like base rocks, plumbing, etc, you can start filling the tank itself with water, the water will fill up and run over the top of the weir then into your sump, just keep filling until your sump water level is at the correct height, turn on your return pump at this stage, you will notice a drop in the water level of the sump just a little as all the hoses etc are filled, simply top up. You can then add your initial chemicals (Prime, etc) and start the cycling process...

But do a heap of research first....read what you can, especially threads on set up's...dont get new tank syndrome, take your time, have patience and do it right....!

Any questions, ask away, I will help where I can...and there are many very helpful people here at ACE with more experience then I will have for a lot of years to come, and they are more than willing to help if you ask.....nicely of course :p

Cheers

Jason

Archived