New 6x2x2 journal

Dreamwater

My new 6x2x2 finally arrived last night! :thumbup:

IPB Image

Now the set up begins....

Sump is a 36"x16"x16" with a few partitions for adding a couple of filter sheets and also a couple of litres of matrix after cycled, Resun SP7500 (3500lph) pump came with the setup so didnt have a choice, but will upgrade before it karks it... Eheim Jager 300W sitting under bio-balls.

IPB Image

Made up a Durso to go into the weir with a small pre-filter section attached.

IPB Image

Making up a spray bar for the return, which is about 2/3 the way to the weir running across the back, which you can see in the pic below....also a second Eheim Jager 300W heater in the tank, I was going to put them both in the sump, but they would have to be so close together I thought perhaps the heat radiating from each heater would throw out the true temp of the wayter as they would pick up each others temp... :dntknw:

I decided to put the sump as close to the return end as I could to keep the return hose as short as possible, every inch counts....

IPB Image

Will continue tomorrow....with finalising all plumbing, and completing the spray bar, washing sand etc etc.

Cheers

Jason

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking tank mate, I bet your are happy!

All looks good. What is wrong with the 3500lph pump? I only use a 3200lph on my 5x2x2 plus a canister (and an internal).

What are you going to be keeping in that thing?

Cheers

Shane

Nothing better then setting up a new tank lucky you and a big one too. Looks real good have fun but most of all take your time and do it right. I know it is hard when all you want is it up and running :p But it is not every day you get to do this.

I would be fitting both heaters in the sump.

I have both 300w jagers on top of each other they run great as there is to much water flow over them to cause any problems the less in the tank the better.How about a back/ground Black is quick and looks the goods.

Not staining the stand it will look so much better stained :thumb

Rat

Nice looking tank mate, I bet your are happy!

All looks good. What is wrong with the 3500lph pump? I only use a 3200lph on my 5x2x2 plus a canister (and an internal).

What are you going to be keeping in that thing?

Cheers

Shane

Thanks Shane, and yep, very happy mate!

Nothing wrong with the size, just heard a lot of negative outcomes with the Resun's :dntknw: will be adding a cannister a little further down the track, wont be many fish in the for a while, trust me to choose harder to find Sth Americans, but going for nice balance of sized fish, not numbers of fish.

I decided to go with the Blue Circle pool sand, colour is actually pretty good....one question though, how do you go with the cleaning of it? will a gravel cleaner work ok or will it be too light and just suck it all up? I will getting some sand sifters in the tank (orange heads) so that should help keeping it stirred up a bit.....but how do you go about it? I got 2x 20kg bags, but it just dont look like it will be enough! so may have to grab another 1 or 2 bags....!

Nice looking tank!

What's the airline for in the third pic?

So you not going to paint your hood and cabinet?

Just in there for placement atm, seeing where things will go with least amount of view.

Thinking of oiling or staining, not decided as yet...

Nothing better then setting up a new tank lucky you and a big one too. Looks real good have fun but most of all take your time and do it right. I know it is hard when all you want is it up and running :p But it is not every day you get to do this.

I would be fitting both heaters in the sump.

I have both 300w jagers on top of each other they run great as there is to much water flow over them to cause any problems the less in the tank the better.How about a back/ground Black is quick and looks the goods.

Not staining the stand it will look so much better stained :thumb

Rat

Cheers Rat,

Yeah taking my time, it was actually reading through your 5 footer that I thought to put the heaters in the sump, though yours are spaced a fair amount being on top of each other, the furthest I could get mine was side by side and nearly touching at the ends...plus (as Bruce mentioned) I thought of the adjustment dilemma...

I was considering the a BG from universal rock (the Olgas), but it just came down the funding issues, you forget the tank may be a large amount of the cost....but all the other items soon start adding up :B

So black it will most likely be...what would be the best material/paint/whatever for a black background?

Looking good, one question though. What if you need to adjust the heater? You are gonna have to take out all those bioballs and wool.

Bruce

That was a thought that came to me and also why I chose to have one in the tank, I dont see it really needing to be adjusted, but if needed the one in the sump can be gotten to with a ruler or knitting needle etc if needed :blink

Looks great mate, can i ask where you got it all from?

Tank, sump, hood, and stand from Sydney (PM me if you want any details)

Heaters and a few other odds and ends from The Reef Shop :thumb I was shocked I was able to get the 2 300Watters from The Reef Shop for just a few dollars more than I would have got only one locally!!! (price for moving to the sticks lol)

I decided to go with the Blue Circle pool sand, colour is actually pretty good....one question though, how do you go with the cleaning of it? will a gravel cleaner work ok or will it be too light and just suck it all up? I will getting some sand sifters in the tank (orange heads) so that should help keeping it stirred up a bit.....but how do you go about it? I got 2x 20kg bags, but it just dont look like it will be enough! so may have to grab another 1 or 2 bags....!

I have the same tank, probably from the same dude and also used sand (3 x 20 kg bags from bunnings), I use a garden hose, and just carefully hold it just above the sand and clean the sand that way. I have oscars so i have a lot of waste, works well when i do my weekly water change.

Thanks Womsv8....thats a good way of doing it...if you do it gentle enough you wont stir it up too much either...

I washed the 2 bags of sand today and was surprised just the 2 bags cover the bottom entirely with between an inch and a half a two inches....still tempted to throw a third bag in, but not sure as yet...

2 - 2.5" deep of substrate would be more than enough wouldnt it, even with sand sifters?

Before you get carried away and fill it with gravel, sand and water, it would be a good idea to stain and lacquer the stand and the hood.

Better to do it now with the tank removed, much less effort now as how do you stain and lacquer all the timber when it's in place against the wall?

I know its hard to wait (just like tank cycling) but it will be worth it in the long run. No matter how careful you are, water will spill over the timber. Looks like radiata pain, this timber will rot and get mouldy quite easily if it is not treated correctly. A little effort know will be well worth it.

Sound like I'm preaching? Probably, I am getting old and cantankerous. :lol2:

Forgot to say the tank and stand looks gooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your concern Mr Fishy, but I havnt got carried away at all... I will be giving the pine a few coats of Clear Polyurethane...I hope it wont upset you too much that I am not staining it.... :p

Trying to work out the best way to support the spray bar.....something along the lines of a clamp of some description connected to a suction cup....or perhaps building a sort of small shelf off the back of the tank or middle top support out of glass...? any ideas anyone?

I had a spray bar in my old 6by 2 by 2, i just held it in place with suction cups with clips on the end. I siliconed my suction cups in place as they often fall off, if you decide to do this silicon them now while your tank is empty, you can always remove the silicon later :) im sure the guys on here will have some good suggestions too.

Thanks Womsv8....thats a good way of doing it...if you do it gentle enough you wont stir it up too much either...

I washed the 2 bags of sand today and was surprised just the 2 bags cover the bottom entirely with between an inch and a half a two inches....still tempted to throw a third bag in, but not sure as yet...

2 - 2.5" deep of substrate would be more than enough wouldnt it, even with sand sifters?

I found that 2 and a bit bags (same stuff) was enough for a tank with the same base size. Initially I put in 2, then added the geos to let them rennovate then added a bit more in places that were lacking. I'd recommend it not being too deep as to avoid stagnant areas. My geos do dig to the bottom (even the parts I pushed up to 3-4") but also do leave some areas relatively untouched.

Thanks vipp-e, something to keep in mind...

Schmuck, been thinking along the same lines, I picked up an extra bag today, but I might wait until filled with water and then see how it all settles before I add anymore...

Not much to update really, gave cabinet and hood first coat of Clear Polyurethane this arvo, picked a few more odds and ends for plumbing etc while down at Coffs today, and another 100 or so extra bio balls.....nearly had a heart attack when on of the LFS were trying to sell me some Eheim EHFI Substrat 1L for $40, as they dont stock Matrix! considering through AOA I can get 2L of EHFI Substrat for a few bucks more..., and 2L of Matrix is only $37!

Ah well...technology is a wonderful friend and so are site sponsors! cheers to ACE for bringingit all together!

nearly had a heart attack when on of the LFS were trying to sell me some Eheim EHFI Substrat 1L for $40, as they dont stock Matrix! considering through AOA I can get 2L of EHFI Substrat for a few bucks more..., and 2L of Matrix is only $37!

Ah well...technology is a wonderful friend and so are site sponsors! cheers to ACE for bringingit all together!

A couple of days ago i bought 4l of matrix from the reef shop for $63.95. I was at a non sponsors shop and they were selling 4l for $130. I couldn't believe it. It looked old and covered in dust.

Glad to see you took this the right way. Didn't mean it to seem like I was dictating :thumbup:

Thanks for your concern Mr Fishy, but I havnt got carried away at all... I will be giving the pine a few coats of Clear Polyurethane...I hope it wont upset you too much that I am not staining it.... :p

Looks like its progressing well, the clear will look great.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Na thats cool MrFishy....the clear poly darkens it just a touch giving it a slight golden look, yeah I reckon it should look ok.....

How do most do the black background?....just tape it all up and use a black spray paint? A universal rocks background would be nice, but not able to fit it in the budget I set myself.....so black back will do me nicely

Na thats cool MrFishy....the clear poly darkens it just a touch giving it a slight golden look, yeah I reckon it should look ok.....

How do most do the black background?....just tape it all up and use a black spray paint? A universal rocks background would be nice, but not able to fit it in the budget I set myself.....so black back will do me nicely

I use a cheap little roller with short bristles from bunnings (bristles are a kind of fabric). They are about $4 each. I put one coat on starting from the top and move end to end. Make sure that the first coat is only put on lightly. Don't stress if its still a bit transparent. Give it enough time to totally dry (not just touch dry). Apply the second coat the same way (not too thick) and you should be right.

It's really risky using a spray can because the slightest mistake and the paint will run and you will have to scrape it all off and start again. Or it could be that I just suck with a spray can!! :yes:

HTH

Ben

How do most do the black background?....just tape it all up and use a black spray paint?

if you're going to use spray paint, be sure to use 'flat'. enemal or 'gloss' looks terrible, the finnish is far too reflective.

i just use an old roller. i often used dark and light shades of the same colour, give the tank a rough patchy coat of the light colour then a final coat of the dark. shades of blue or green work well. now i just stick with a mid blue, with quote a few tanks, this looks more uniform

cheers

Just buy a black background for a few bucks and stick it to the back with tape. That way if you change your mind you can easily remove it.

Yeah I have already thought of that, been around to all LFS and they have nothing but those poxy weed backgrounds....cant really think of anything else I could use that I could get to be in one length....

I use a cheap little roller with short bristles from bunnings (bristles are a kind of fabric). They are about $4 each. I put one coat on starting from the top and move end to end. Make sure that the first coat is only put on lightly. Don't stress if its still a bit transparent. Give it enough time to totally dry (not just touch dry). Apply the second coat the same way (not too thick) and you should be right.

It's really risky using a spray can because the slightest mistake and the paint will run and you will have to scrape it all off and start again. Or it could be that I just suck with a spray can!! :yes:

HTH

Ben

Cheers Ben....I dont know why I didnt think of using a roller instead of a spray can...lol

if you're going to use spray paint, be sure to use 'flat'. enemal or 'gloss' looks terrible, the finnish is far too reflective.

i just use an old roller. i often used dark and light shades of the same colour, give the tank a rough patchy coat of the light colour then a final coat of the dark. shades of blue or green work well. now i just stick with a mid blue, with quote a few tanks, this looks more uniform

cheers

Thanks Colfish, I was going to use a matt (flat), figured the gloss would look crappy....

Just another something to think about....their just never ending arnt they lol

If you decide to go for a plastic backing, cardboard or anything to fix on to the back of the tank make sure you try some scrap first before you commit to buying it.

IMHO any kind of backing outside the tank can look pretty average unless it is smeared with some kind of lubricant then sealed on. This can be an absolute pain to put on and to keep on.

I think you would be better off painting it..

This is just my opinion though I'm sure there are heaps of people who do it successfully.

Ben

Archived