Sump question

mark_82

Soon I'm going to be setting up a 5x2x2 tank with a sump. Would it be better to get a hole drilled at the back of the tank with plumbing running down to the sump or get an overflow chamber? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a 5x2x2 and I have a weir (overflow) which is full of sponge to prefilter the water going into the sump. Both the inlet and outlet are at the bottom of the tank, and it works very well. The sump is in the cabinet and I only need a couple of elbow joints to plumb it properly.

I think you definitely should have a weir. It is a matter of personal preference whether or not you want the plumbing from the bottom or back of the tank.

cheers

Shane

You also don't get as much water flow out of the tank with a hole in the back wall. The benefit of the wier is that the water falls straight down before any other direction. With a hole in the back, the water moves horizontally first. This causes a little back pressure and doesn't allow water to escape from the tank as easily. It's much easier to accidentally overflow a "hole in the back" tank. If you go that option, go the biggest hole possible and the biggest bulkhead.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of just getting a hole drilled in the back of the tank because I thought it would be less visible and noisy than a weir. But I don't want problems with water overflowing out of the tank.

Are these guys mobile or do u need to bring the tank to them , and also is there a holesaw that u can buy do it yourself.

Hi guys im only new here butwas wondering if there were any info on making a mini reef here, i have seen heaps os stlyes but which r the best.

I have a 5fter which i have made my own over the top filter with pump inside the tank but looking at something a little more neater.

Are these guys mobile or do u need to bring the tank to them , and also is there a holesaw that u can buy do it yourself.

Hi guys im only new here butwas wondering if there were any info on making a mini reef here, i have seen heaps os stlyes but which r the best.

I have a 5fter which i have made my own over the top filter with pump inside the tank but looking at something a little more neater.

A mini reef is very easy to make, so easy even I managed to make my own. All you need is a bit of eggcrate for the bioballs to sit in, a small tank, and some glass to make dividers/baffles. Add some sponge, a heater and

There is an example here

I don't have a spinning arm, my intake gravity feeds onto a splash plate that I made out of a tupperware container.

If you want further info, PM me and I will send you some pics.

Cheers

Shane

So, if I go for the hole in the back option, there is a chance that water may overflow and I won't be able to put my tank against the wall. The weir will take up some space and will make a waterfall sound which probably can be reduced by installing a durso standpipe. Are there any other disadvantages or advantages?

your better off getting a pro to do your holes.. real easy to break the glass... its not like drilling a hole for a door... lol

p.s i like holes with bulkhead dont keen on the whole weir thing if you ask me its ugly.. i have a 6x2x2 an 3x 4fts running on 2 different sumps an i have never had a prob with overflow.. if you need help get back to me..

Holly

p.s i like holes with bulkhead dont keen on the whole weir thing if you ask me its ugly.. i have a 6x2x2 an 3x 4fts running on 2 different sumps an i have never had a prob with overflow.. if you need help get back to me..

What size hole and bulkhead would I need?

One benefit of a weir is that the top of the weir sets the water level in your tank. A weir is wider than a pipe, so it can be higher without disrupting the water flow over the top.

Once you start talking about drilling big holes in the back of your tank, the water level in your tank may be lower than you want. This might not be an issue in most cases but it was an issue for me when I had my display tank made.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go for the weir option. Now I have to choose a sump. I'm thinking of getting a double mini reef with bio balls or a matrix style sump. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Archived