Need help - bloat

fishly

Hi guys, I think my Pseudotropheus Acei Msuli are bloat (I suspect it) due to the food or extreme temperatures lately.

I gave them:

- Nutrafin max

- New life spectrum cichlid formula

- NSWCS spirulina

- no name pallet (someone give it to me, so I don't know the contents).

The symptoms are:

- The stomach area are bloat

- Sometimes sitting on the substrate/rock

- Some of them are hiding in a cave

- don't have appetite

- breathing heavily

I checked the water condition is good, using wet/dry trickle filter and a canister filter. Normally I didn't use the air bar as I thought the oxygen level was enough since the temperature was about 27 - 28 degrees, but now I am using the 4ft air bar as the temperature is rising up to 30 degrees.

My question is how to treat those poor fishes? I know that if they are bloat, the chance for them to recover is very small, but there must be some way to overcome this. what is the best medication for them? and where can I buy the medication? Do I have to separate them from other fishes (p. salousi and BN)?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Use the "search" function and go to the posts which deal with this. Use keywords suchas "bloat", "flagyl", "epsom salts" as there is heaps of info. supplied in prior threads.

HTH

merjo

Tony

My opinion on bloat is that it is a two stage problem

first is the flagellated protzoa

treat with Flygyl or Octozin

Flagyl is a prescription medication and can only be obtained from a vet or GP

Metronidazole is the primary ingredient

The dosage that seems to be recommended is 250mg to 50 litres of water and then filtered out after three days (do not have any other medications in the tank at the same time) this is the same for Hole in the Head

Dissolve the tablet in water before adding it to the tank

Octozin is available in most LFS and contains Metronidazole in a smaller dose

use at the rate of one tab per 25 ltr over 3 days then a 25-30% water change at day 8, the treatment can be repeated if neccesary

If left too long and the second stage of bacterial septicemia takes hold there is nothing more that can be done

Treatment must be started in the first couple of days that the symptoms are noticed

cheers

L2H

Ok fishly,

Just checked back through the posts for you. The post entitled "Eggbound"..Tummy massage (in Technical, by Chuckmeister) has a dose rate and treatment regime entered by lungy. I concur with the plan he outlined.

Obviously you probably won't be able to take the fish out and treat in a bucket though. If you wanted to add to a whole tank I would add about 1 teasp. per 20L (one treatment only). Keep the filtration and air up.

However, what Link has just said is important to note, and Epsom Salts will not make the bloat "go away", just help them to pass an obstruction.

HTH

merjo

In one word yes

These are classic symptoms of a protozoan problem

You will find these are the same symptoms shown by Tropheus

I suggest you treat as mentioned ASAP

This is my opinion from the symptoms and I would treat the prob in the manner I have listed

Do you have access to any medication and how long have the fish shown these symptoms ?

L2H

Archived