My kH experiment

MoliroMan

Just a little aside for avid tropheus keepers.......

We, i have been experimenting with lowering my kH over a few weeks to try to reduce the cost of buffers. My kH went from 20 to 10. What i have observed is that there were no more mouthfuls over this period of time. I thought maybe it was a coincidence but then i talked to Jim to confirm the amount of buffer and salts he used.

What Jim uses (i hope u don't mind mate that i have divulge your secrets!):

for a 220L drum of water.

1. Add 5 tsp of Seachem lake salt.

2. Next day, add 6 tsps of Seachem Tangyanika buffer for 4 consecutive days - total 24 tsp!!!!

This should give u a kH of 18. Make sure u use the Sera Kh test kit which is more accurate.

I had slowly reduced my buffer to 1 tsp per 40L or 6 tsp total (which is the recommendation on the bottle) - this dropped my kH to 10!!!

Today, after a water change i added salt and buffers to Jim's specifications but unfortunately i added the buffer over 2 days and when i heated the water to 26 degress the water became cloudy!!! I still change the water anyway but the kH was still only 11. So i added more tsp to bring the kH to 20.

Guess what....i have a mouthful and more breeding activity! I don't think this is a coincidence.

What are your experiences?

I will agree with you dave. I have noticed the same thing when I had my first group of nkonde. I also noticed a color change when the hardness was low, with more of the fish showing the juvenile coloring.

I think I have posted this before but it may have been on the old scp forum. Its the reading from the lake at peak breeding times. I dont know how worth while it is but its what I used to keep my tanks at when I was breeding Tropheus. I dont think you need it this high but I used to try to keep it up at least 180ppm for the hardness and 280-300ppm for the KH.

True Hardness: 220ppm

Alkalinity: 18 degrees of KH or 320ppm

Josh...i also have noticed that the colours of my ilangi are less yellow and there is more barring when the kh is low!!!!

Nigel...thanks for reposting this. I remember u mentioned that u need the kH at 18 for breeding. Is true hardness the same as general hardness gH?

The trouble with achieving such a high kH is that u will need a lot of Seachem buffer! Does any one know where is the cheapest for Seachem Tanganyika buffer in bulk and how much? I think i bought a bucket of 20kg at Trans for $600 woot.gifwoot.gif

Those Tropheus look great,

I'm in the process of converting my 6x2x2 tank into a tropheus tank!

The substrate i have at the moment is 1 part coral sand to 3 parts Crushed marble.

Is this substrate suitable for tropheus??

I'm guess it should be ok since i had frontosa's in there - It gave me a ph of 8.

I'm looking to decorate it extensively with apline rock.

I'm also looking for some Seachem tang buffer for the tank any info will be great!

Cheers,

Rick

Rick....welcome to the club!!! thumbup.gif Remember to ask a lot of questions before venturing into the land of tropheus! And be prepared to make mistakes and ask for advice to deal with them.

A 6 by 2 by 2 tank is a great tank for tropheus! I think whatever substrate u choose is fine as long as it looks good. U don't need too thick substrate. I know people with bare bottom tanks. Also some use lime sand instead which is a lot cheaper than coral sands especially for a 6 foot! I think Xtreme Aquariums still stock this at a reasonable price. Start off with a smaller number of tropheus - i think maximum 30, in case u get casualties and therefore the pain will be less.

Also Seachem buffer and salts are the best that i have used. U don't need to keep the kH as high as what i have recommended before if u have only juveniles. It is only recommended for wildcaughts or tropheus at breeding size - 2.5 inches or above.

Remember to post your pics when it is all setup!!! wink2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie....do u mean get out of Tropheus? LOL.gif It would be very interesting to see if the increase in kH will do wonders fro your fish, keep us posted!!!

Ben...i went crazy with my buffer and got the kH up to 28!!!!! There was no untoward effects but i don't think it is good in the long term. Now the kH is about 16. My problem now is the Gh is 20 (358 ppm) - need to reduce my Lake salt and get it closer to 220ppm.

By the way, i think Sera makes the best test kits!

Nah mate, I mean get outa town since you're going to be bangin' on her door 24/7 when you move down there woot.gif .

I'll keep ya posted on the kH thing mate. I'll have to come and visit again in the new year, what do ya reckon?

Jamie.

PS This isn't Tropheus related but I picked up a cool little octagonal setup off G-1000. I plan on setting up a little planted tank with Tetras and stuff, should be cool. I hope you don't kick me out of the club now bigsmile.gif . Will post pics in a separate thread when it gets going.

Archived