Tropheus ikola Caring

anthO

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ohh ok well thats a relief :) ...

whats your opinion on 15 tropheus ikola for a standard 5 foot tank? They will have no tank mates! is this ok?

If you purchase fry they will be a little lost in all that space :) but will soon learn to spread out. I too feel that if you have the tank size why not go for a few more - you will increase your chance of more female to male ratio, the saying safety in numbers applies here as well. The bioload will certainly not be great with 15 even at adult size in that tank :thumbup: .

Keep up the enthusiasm - you will find them - have you tried CThompson??

Now im confused again :dntknw: im not sure about getting the ikolas coz i can only get 15 or so and i dont want them to die.

And i think i might start off with ilangi or duboisi because i can get about 20 of them

i have tried Cthompson

Cheers

You are saying you can only get 15 or so due to money or reccommended stocking levels?

If money is the issue, Jim is selling his Ikola for the same price as his Ilangi at the moment (though he doesn't ship interstate). It wouldn't surprise me if others were selling for similar $s.

If you are worried about the number of fish, you can keep just as many Ikola as Ilangi or Maswa.

And trust me, they won't die unless you do something to cause it. If the water is OK and stable, nitrates are kept as low as possible and they are fed the right foods you won't have any problems. I was had a general impression about them keeling over easily, but after reading lots, asking lots of questions and now having kept some they are nowhere near as scarey as you may think.

I'm a fan of having just one Tropheus variant per tank, with all the action that goes on you don't really need another. I have some leptos in my tank to try to fill the upper part of the tank as the Trophes spend most of their time down low on the rocks, but the Ts are number one.

If I was you, I would be putting extra Ikola into the tank rather than a new variant.

If it was me, I would shoot for 20 - 25 Ikola bubs in that tank. Adding them all at once is ideal but not crucial. As long as you don't wait too long, adding juveniles to juveniles is a piece of cake, you just have to use a couple of simple tricks that we can clue you in on when the time comes.

If Ikola isn't able to be sourced, many of us up here have many beautiful variants of Ts that you can choose from, that are breeding at the moment.

ie

Aline- Lufubu, dub Maswa, Chipimbi, Kiriza, Nkonde

Dave- Golden Kazumba, Ilangi

Me- Mpulungu

I do agree though that Ikola are very beautiful, if you can get 'em, go for it.

I agree with Aline though, don't get the duboisi just for the sake of it. You won't give them the proper care because you won't truly appreciate them.

Jamie.

My post says that Aline has some, whether she has fry for sale I don't know. Her username is Chipimbi.

Your multiple question marks suggests to me that you are getting a bit touchy with me. I suggest you shouldn't feel this way towards people who are trying to help you and show some respect.

Jamie.

If I took your tone the wrong way, then I apologise.

Its ok :thumb

I hope that you will help me again in the near future when i do get my tropheus....

Cheers

Anthony

Also anyone else if you would like to share your advice your more than welcome :yes:

Anthony

I have heaps of Questions and since you said that im gonna let them all out :)

Would you have any idea of the size of the fry are when the female spits?

Is 10 tropheus ikola kaiser good enough for a standard 5 foot tank. Or would they die....

i no i ask this question alot but ive had totally different answers from everyone?

Thats all until you answer :lol2:

Anthony

I would say that 10 is definately too few to have a successful tank, you will also find that it looks very empty with that number. With plenty of filtration and appropriate water changes you can keep many many more than that in your tank. If money is the issue then wait a little longer and put aside money to get a decent number to start with.

You may be fine with having only 10, but veteran keepers with loads of experience suggest that you have more rather then less. This isn't because they want to try and sell more fish, but because more often then not having more fish works better than having less.

With less fish there are less numbers to spread the agression around, say you are at a school with 10 people in your class and there are 2 or 3 bullies. That means that the remaining 7 people will suffer constant harassment. Now if you go to a class with 25 people in it you will still have 2-3 bullies, but there are 22 other people to be harrassed. Apply this idea to your tank, the less each individual fish is likely to be harassed and the less likely you will suffer from agression related deaths.

The other thing is that these fish are colony minded and set their own social structure, they also feel much safer in larger numbers, the more the merrier really. You will get more out of them if they don't feel scared to come out from the rock work.

Yep but however!!!!....

I read on another forum that another guys tropheus (duboisi i think) bred at only 3.5 - 4 cm

Anyway another question;)

IF i was to get 3cm tropheus what size do they usually start to colour up?

Anthony

Archived