"Moon Lighting"

OziOscar

Hi Guys

I'm kinda keen on doing 'moon' lighting to create an artificial dawn and dusk on my display tank and have seen some commercial blue LED arrays that look sort of OK, but they're a tad too lairy in my opinion (ie too many LEDs and far too costly compared to raw component price).

Can anyone point me at a circuit diagram for making say a five LED or eight LED setup?

I know my 240VAC stuff inside out and 24VDC industrial but am clueless when it comes to quick'n'dirty 5VDC stuff. :B

Cheers - OziOscar.

• 2 weeks later...

I added some "moonlighting" to my tank today:

IPB Image

The photo doesn't really reflect the true look of the tank so I'll play with the shutter tomorrow and try and get a better shot. I was too lazy to pull out my soldering iron and simply installed a 30cm CCFL from Jaycar into the hood running on a timer and a cheap regulated 12VDC power supply.

As you are wanting, I have them come on a few hours before lights on and go out a few hours after lights out. I'm happy with the outcome and it's really interesting watching them in the twilight.

Cheers

I'll try for one tonight for you ;)

I was up to over a 1/2 second shutter by the time I got to this one, the problem I was having also was getting a good focus on the tank. Closer to 1 second got a truer reflection of the effect but the focus was out.

Cheers

Looks very nice indeed.

I'm trying to work out how to do the LED version because of the 'spotlight' effect. Yes, I know it's not a fully natural look, but it does have a kinda cool factor that wouldn't be harmful (as far as I can tell!) for the livestock.

The DIY cold cathode stuff looks ace and is pretty cheap now that the PC modding fad has more or less run its course and the parts and PSUs are dirt cheap.

Maybe a mix and match of these two might work... I will stuff around with it over the next couple of weeks and post the results (if my POS camera will behave itself at low light levels :) ).

Looking forward to seeing your new pic, spedwards.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Updated pic tonight! I'm still having trouble getting focus, but it's much better than the previous shot I posted...

IPB Image

If you are after a real spot light effect you can actually buy LED spotlights (again from the PC modding scene) that give you real control over where the light goes. I'm not sure on what the light spread would be though.

If you are after a real spot light effect you can actually buy LED spotlights (again from the PC modding scene) that give you real control over where the light goes. I'm not sure on what the light spread would be though.

Now that looks good love it :clap thanks for the the photo can be tricky to take this type of shot.Its my next project.

Hey your tank has two main peaks right I think you got to give the led spot lights ago :8 What do you think a LED spot light on each peak :shock:

Will take pic of the sump tomorrow for sure :thumb

cya

Rat

Hey your tank has two main peaks right I think you got to give the led spot lights ago :8 What do you think a LED spot light on each peak :shock:

I like the idea, but I think if I spend anymore on the look of that tank at the moment I might come home to a very unhappy wife... :yes:

I think if I spend anymore on the look of that tank at the moment I might come home to a very unhappy wife

The footy tipping comp will be over in a couple of weeks. That's gotta improve the balance for you Jon ;)

I took a look at the waterproof LED lights from Jaycar and the controller (ahem). It looks like a great solution for someone who doesn't want to get their hands dirty.

Thankfully, someone PM'ed me with some tips (and reminded me of Ohm's law :)) so I will DIY it and post the how-to, complete with bad pics, and the result.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Cheers - OziOscar.

Guest parallel

Here's hoping! Though so far my talks of a new tank have hit a brick wall :blink

She'll give in eventually Jon, Like my Mrs she gave in to my nagging :p

Cheers

Parallel

well what does she waste money on? turn it back on her!

After all, that's what women always do to us blokes all the time. /sits back with baited hook

When they go on the 'money wasting' routine, take them to a few places and let them see what retail prices are like. They are generally horrified!

Then go outside and say "Shoot - I can make it / buy it in the hobby / swap for it for n% of that!"

The girls go for it - they can't resist getting something costly 'on sale'. :)

And don't tell my missy this trick. :)

Cheers - OziOscar.

This is almost becoming a FAQ on how to get your partner to let you have another tank :lol2:

I made the first step tonight: we will build the stand together (read "I will build the stand") and work can begin once the painting of the house is completed. So I think I might be putting on the painting clothes again this weekend!

Back to the topic of this post...

What sort of timings are you thinking about with the moonlighting and how long do you keep your tank light on through the day?

I have been keeping mine on most of the day so I can enjoy my fish, but since I have been getting a green tinge to the substrate and I have added the "moonlight" I'm starting to peel the bedtime back. At the moment lights go out at about 9:30PM and come on at about 7:15AM out of necessity for feeding before I leave for work.

Guest parallel

Offer her a tank of her own but you take care of the rest. You know my 4ft tank it will soon be a discus tank...hehehe don't forget no one can resist a good bribe.

Cheers

Hey spedwards

The present lighted period is 12 hours - 12 to 12.

I'm thinking to push it back two hours so that it's 10 to 10. There really isn't a need for an artifical dawn as there's enough light making its way into the apartment for a gradual light increase.

However, those last couple of hours with some catfish activity and the blue lights would make for a restful end to the day for both me and hopefully the fish too. :)

Some of the tanks are planted SA and Asian biotope-ish (hence the lengthy photoperiod) and the others are African lake stuff.

I'm hoping to have a crack at making the LED version this weekend.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived