"Moon Lighting"

OziOscar

• 11 months later...

Sorry to be digging up old threads, but this one is of interest to me.

I'm considering of putting some 'moon lighting' into my tank (so i can see the fish after their bed time, and before mine). I had heard of the CCFL tubes, but not this LED idea. Has anyone got a photo of a LED setup? I'm intrigued as to the result. As mentioned in this post, the misses wouldn't be too pleased if i spend a bundle, so i'm looking for a relatively cheap solution :)

how big is the tank?

Jaycar electronics , I think a 3v power supply (or 12v with dropping resistor) & a blue led or two

a single blue high intesity LED is amazingly bright in a dark room - will do a 2' tank no worries, maybe 2 of them for a std 4'er.

a 10mm CCFL is fine for a 4x2, way to bright for anything smaller/shallower

if you have something suitable around the house (3-12vdc) the major expense is gone, just a $2 LED & some wire, maybe a 20c resistor (Jaycar guys will give you the rating for your power pack to drop the voltage)

If your interested, the Jaycar option will look like this.......

IPB Image

The photo isn't too clear but u get the idea.

I also used white PVC tubing cut length ways to act as a reflector for the 12 volt blue neon strip. The reflector throws the light downward into the tank rather than trying to illuminate the whole setup. This will give u the spot-light effect your after.

Have fun your project!!!

KimO

Try Super Cheap car accessories.

They selll LEDs in strips enclosed in a cleartube. Seen them in various lengths and colours (I don't think pink would look real good though). I think my 30cm strip cost about $22.

Car modders use them (illegally) to highlight under the car.

All you need to get is a 12v dc plugpack to run them.

I'll try and post a pick tonight.

Archived