Moving plants not snails

Tunnel Rat

Hi people

I am just about to move my gang into a bigger tank :clap

I will be moving a big Anubias on wood but have sum snails in the tank I do not wish to move them into the new tank.

How can I do this :confused:

I was thinking after I move the fish can I dose the tank heavily with salt if so at what dose & how long or is there a better way.

If this works I will use it when I buy new Anubias The only plant for me ;) because its one plant even I can keep.

thx

Rat

I've not used a dedicated snail removing preparation myself but could you dose the tank or the plants with something that removes snails either in the old tank or somewhere between it and the new one? There are products that are supposed to remove snails. I've used bleach on anubias for algae, that may do for snails, although you'd have to look it up.

The are stacks of commercial preperations about that use coper sulphate as the active ingredient in removing snails, when I was a little tacker an old bloke showed me how a couple of 1 or 2 cent coins also does the job.

A non chemical way (one I am about to undertake for anubias too) is to as mentioned get some clown loaches, I have another one in mind the yoyo or reticulated/pakastani loach...these guys will ignore prepped food in favou of snails :yes:

If you are on good terms with a lfs, see if you can "purchase" them with a trade in price when you bring them back a bit bigger (fatter) so you dont loose money unless any of the little guys check out, and the lfs gets some fish back bigger and thence a bit pricier for the next customer....works for me :thumbup:

I have also been giving the plants/rocks/driftwood a moderately strong blast over a bucket to remove quite a few and then squish the snails....please dont flush them or turf them into a waterway :shock: , this helps but they eggs are where I have been finding problems, as they cling and just hatch later.

Hope this helps a bit.

An alternative to the bleach trick is the vineger trick. (Bleach gives me a head spin)

I use 1/4 cup vineger (whatever I have on hand, brown or white) and 3/4 cup of warmish tap water. Mix well and then dunk the plant in it a few times. Any snails on the plant will fall off and the mix will also kill any snail eggs on the plant. Rinse well and then put in the new tank. Within 24hours you should notice any egg clusters turning a brownish colour. After about a week they then just seem to loose their stickiness and fall off the plant.

Cheers, Cassandra.

An alternative to the bleach trick is the vineger trick. (Bleach gives me a head spin)

I use 1/4 cup vineger (whatever I have on hand, brown or white) and 3/4 cup of warmish tap water. Mix well and then dunk the plant in it a few times. Any snails on the plant will fall off and the mix will also kill any snail eggs on the plant. Rinse well and then put in the new tank. Within 24hours you should notice any egg clusters turning a brownish colour. After about a week they then just seem to loose their stickiness and fall off the plant.

Cheers, Cassandra.

Thanks for this tip I was not keen on the bleach but will do this for sure .

Sorry about the late reply I keep forgetting to tick the email me box then forget to recheck the post :(

Thank you

Rat

• 10 months later...

Cheers, Cassandra.

I like this suggestion as well.

Tell me Cassandra, how often have you done this?

What snail species have you eradicated?

Anything ever go wrong with the plants?

Craig

Cheers, Cassandra.

I like this suggestion as well.

Tell me Cassandra, how often have you done this?

What snail species have you eradicated?

Anything ever go wrong with the plants?

Craig

Archived