Disease Question

pride

Hello,

I have just noticed this afternoon my firemouth has 2 raised white things on his head. They look like large pussey zits. One is on the edge of his gill one side and the other is on the gill plate on the other side of his head? All other fish look okay and swimming happily. The only change I have made to the tank is added some new plants and another piece of driftwood which were both rinsed/soaked. Temp has been up and down abit with the hot weather ( from 24C to 28C ) but apart from that.... Also he seems to be a shade darker in its fins and around the lips ( like a black sort of edge) which I'm not sure if this is normal or not? Can anyone help out with what steps I should take such as treatment/ diagnosis?

Much appreciated

Adam

Thanks Fiona,

Yeah it sounds alittle like what Merjo described about lymphocystis. Further looking and I've noticed a cluster of these pimple things around the pelvic fins. He seems to swim at the glass moving its head side to side like as if ready to be fed but doing it all the time. Should I take him out? Problem being I don't have tank I can spare or hospital tank sad.gif

Well I managed to get one of the kids shell sandpits up and going as a hospital tank last night using water from the original tank and filtering using some of the filter media in an internal. The firemouth seemed okay when I went to bed but this morning he was dead?? I had a closer look at the lumpy white stuff on him and scraped one off to see if it would come off easy which it did but I couldn't believe how much blood came out, not sure what that means? It was like when you take a leech off your skin that was embedded in. Does that give anyone more help on diagnosis?

Adam

Gday L2H,

Not sure if it would be Columnaris or not? I've had the firemouth in the tank for some time now and I can't think of anything that may of caused it stress as he is one of the most active and aggressive in the tank. Water quality is checked weekly and water changes are done 30% weekly. Also it gets a good varied diet of live/veg and pellet food so I'm not so sure. Maybe the recent temp fluctuation brought on stress? Anyway so far all other fish are looking well and I did a water change today. Should I be doing anything else to ensure no further spread of disease goes through the tank such as dosing with melafix for a few days?

Thanks for the advice

Adam

Archived