Interesting...

Ducksta

What's electrofishing? They say this:

"Electrofishing is a capture-and-release method used to obtain population estimates, length-weight relationships and age and growth, to determine the extent of the incursion and obtain samples for study."

I think it is when they 'shock' an area with whatever voltage. It stuns the fish, they float and they can be studied while they are 'asleep'.

I have read about this being done so I assume that's what they mean?

ps. My gut feeling was Geo also.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how they did it. You have a long pole from the boat that branches out into heaps of wires, anything that goes in between usually floats up.

I'd have to say it looks like a geo too.

I kinda think stunning them with electricity is pushing the animal cruelty limits but if I guess if it does not kill them it's not so bad. It's got to be better then poison or explosives!

I wouldn't mind having one of them in my tanks. Hope they figure out what its a hybrid of soon. So like do the biologists that are set the job to find these out have to study up cichlids just for this or would they go to cichlid experts i.e us.

cheers; Richard

I saw a different pic on the news on Tuesday and on the TV they looked a lot taller and thicker in the body, with a distinct forehead. To me they looked more like an Aequidens sp. x Geo. sp. dntknw.gif

I think electrofishing can either be either lethal or non-lethal depending on the voltage. There are several differnt types of units and they do have variable settings. The big boat mounted units are for large areas and larger fish like black bream or golden perch amongst heavy snags. The smaller backpack units are for precision work in streams and wetlands for things like pygmy perch and gambusia (needless to say if you have a hole on your waders you soon know about it LOL.gif )

I know a few guys at uni that use the research electrofisher to catch things like Gambusia spp. and Phalloceros caudimaculatus on a low setting so that that they can release any natives that come up. Also, the lamprey guys use it to non-destructively catch ammocoetes. It is my understanding (I could easily be wrong) that the kill voltage is rarely used as it is so non-selective and irreversable. If you are that unconcerned about the ecosystem you may as well use something like rotenone (nasty).

-Mat-

Terry I have quoted you from Perth...hope you don't mind.

Its a female Geophagus brasiliensis the colours are subdued because of the cold water. I put a pair in a 200 Ltr pond several years ago when I lived in Midland (2Km from Bennett Brook) the pond almost dried up in summer and was exposed to the weather in winter. I forgot the fish were in there, when I removed the pond 3 years later I found 4 very healthy adults. They will survive in the Swan.

Bennett Brook originates at Mussel Pool in Whiteman Park it flows South through Caversham and Eden Hill then into the Swan River. With all the rain on Tuesday they will be in the Swan already.

Flushing fish down the toilet does not put them in the river systems it sends them to sewerage treatment plants. This is one of the cruelest ways of getting rid of fish, try to imagine what it would be like on the other side of the S bend. The cichlids in Bennett Brook would have to be put there deliberately.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

they look exactly like what a guy sent to me from perth,....only he claimed that they were bahia reds.......turns out to be iporangensis.....any body want six females??? Thomas Weidner ID them for me....i feel like flushing the bloody things too!!!! (moral of the story?....never buy sight unseen) now he wont even answer his phone... angry.gif

well, this guy charged me $58 each plus freight. so i spose if i could get $30 plus frieght, that would ease the sour taste. they have doubled in size since then...what do ya reckon?

Archived