Can fish be trained?

MoliroMan

Hi Guys!

i stumbled across this hilarious site in another forum.

Part of our original motivation for Fish School was to satisfy Kyle and his sister Kendall's desire for a 'real' pet, which they equated with a dog or (maybe) a cat. It is sad to say, but even the most avid aquarium hobbyist will admit that your average pet fish isn't nearly as exciting as other more personable pets.  Lets face it, fish may be beautiful, but in most people's eyes they are more like home decorations than true pets. Fish don't have much personality, and they almost never interact with their owner in any significant way.

Check it out!

fish school

enjoy!

Dave

my Ts will eat out of my hand....does that count?

i think the way the Ts interact as a colony is enough entertainment for me. I don't like them to behave any differently, but i can see how being able to train your fish will appeal to some.

I am sure bigger fish like oscars or severums can be trained!

I dont want to open a can of worms here, but I remember that the gold fish have magnets inside them and they are being controled from underneath the tank.

Myth Busters in Season 1 (Episode 11) tested the myth that goldfish only have a three second memory. Jamie and Adam set up two tanks with a maze. Jamie had bright colored rings, which he used to condition the fish to associate with food. Jamie's fish zoomed from one side of the tank to the other. Adam's aimlessly wandered back and forth and never made it more than halfway across the course. Thus they proved that they have a memory longer than 3 seconds and at the same time can be trained.

One of the fish in a tank at work has been trained to jump out of the water to take food stuck to your finger. Recently there was a loss and it took about 2 weeks to train the new one. Myth busted. I also saw the Myth Busters goldfish episode, definitely busted.

I had "trained" my RD to let me pat him & just about pick him up by hand, hand feed, fight with algae magnet etc - until yesteday when I rearanged his tank - now I've got little teeth marks on the back of my hand!

I think they are like cats & train us dry.gif

My oscars jump for food. It started out by accident with one trying to get the food before the other. So far its been a problem a couple of times. Once I has noticed what looked to be some crap floating on top of the water and when I was looking at it from above I copped a bite on the nose. The other was just the other night I was holding my young daughter when feeding, I was holding her in my right arm and pulled off a glass lid with the left. In the blink of an eye my daughter reached forward to stick her hand in and the oscar had a munch at her finger. Poor thing had a bleeding finger and a nasty fright....

That is awesome! You have got to love conditioned response and positive re-enforecement.

what a great way to start a morning at work. drinking coffee and watching a trained goldfish do tricks LOL.gif

I think they are like cats & train us dry.gif

Absolutely, My discus has trained my parents into feeding him whenever he wants by allowing himself to be handfed (which they love). All he has to do is look wistfully at the fridge and give a couple fo hungry-looking shakes of his tail and they give in.

He has them wrapped around his little pectoral ray tongue.gif

thanks guys for all the interesting responses! thumbup.gif

can u just imagine LFS selling fish that are not only exceedingly rare but are trained to loop the loop and dribble the ball. Imagine the prices on these trained pets!? LOL.gif

I'd say most of my fish have 'personality' (good and bad traits). I would, however, consider it a loss of personality to teach it/them to swim through a hoop or the like.

Archived