Expanded clay.

catfishLegacy

You may want to check with the store but I think those Expanded clay balls may have a buffer in them to keep the PH lower for growing plants.

Other than that I guess they have a decent enough surface area for bacteria to grow on and being porous also helps.

Cheers,

Aaron

You may want to check with the store but I think those Expanded clay balls may have a buffer in them to keep the PH lower for growing plants.

Other than that I guess they have a decent enough surface area for bacteria to grow on and being porous also helps.

Cheers,

Aaron

Another cheapish option ( esp. for Africans ) is coral bits ( so I've been told by a veteran breeder ). He reckons they are just as good as noodles for growing biological filtration!

I put the big stuff in my canisters ( but don't overdo it to clog the filter ). Depending on where you live you can get 1kg for under $5 at Canley Vale.

Regards,

Rob

Would the product sold as "expanded clay" in hydroponic shops be suitable (or safe) as a biological media? Its cheap and reminds me of some of the bio medias available for aquaria.

It might be worth it to set up a trial tank to see - if you end up doing it could you keep us updated. I might have to have a go myself smile.gif

I think that Bob (Canerod) gave this idea a go a while back.

I am fairly sure that his feed back will be positive but you may like to get his opinion firsthand. I think he has sold most of his fish now and may not check this thread, PM him and get back to us.

-Mat-

I've seen these used in a shop and they seemed to be doing a great job. Not sure about the buffering aspect though sorry.

Another thing about expanded clay ,it floats

so do bioballs dntknw.gif

I have used them in the past. It's my understanding they are very inert so I find it hard to understand how they can effect the pH I'm although not a pH following guy. They do float a bit but I found if you pile them into a sump the weight of the top ones will hold them down.

The only reason I made that comment was that media for Hydroponic set up's sometimes have a buffer in them to keep the PH at around 6.5 which is what you grow some plants in wink2.gif

I'm not saying the clay balls are buffered, just that they might be. Better to check all the facts before you put them in. thumbup.gif

I've seen it used as substrate...A bugger to clean but one of the nicest planted display tanks i've ever seen: 6X2X2 and NO, it wasn't floating away.

Mitch

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give it a go if the shop will sell me a kilo, rather then the whole 51ltr bag...not much point if it doesn't work.

Not too worried about the pH, its supposed to be 6.5-7 with my mix of fish, although I would be worried about a buffer changing the chemical properties of the water.

Thanks

Archived