Tankmates for multies?

Bruce

I have a 2ftx1ftx1ft tank with 6 multies in and a small rock pile. Multies are nice and cool no doubt about it but they are also kinda boring. Is there anything else I can add to the tank to make it a bit more interesting? Maybe a pair of Julies?

Bruce

I don't have any other fish with my multies, simply becos other fish will just eat the multi fry. I reckon if you put some Julies in there, you wont have any multi fry...

if you had a bigger and higher tank, you "could" put in some cyps for the top level. But IMO, leave them on their own.

Multies are the best, don't knoock em.

If they are boring then you are doing something wrong! They are like little bull dozers, when I had mine I was surprised when I came and found the tank hadn't been rearranged overnight!

It has been completely bulldozed. It was flat a couple of months ago. It now has mounds and pits everywhere. It looks like the moon. They just never dig when I'm watching. In the middle is a big pit with maybe 10 shells and 5 multies. On the left is a loner smaller one. She dug the biggest pit and now she has a huge belly. No one else is allowed near her or her shells. Could she be pregnant?

Bruce

She could have eggs in the shells and are protecting them.

They probs dont dig cos they know u're watching them. Maybe stay there for 15 or so mins and sit still, they will start digging around.

They have to be one of my all time favourite fish, so much character and mini bull dozers.

I very much doubt that there would be a girl out on her own. Any male wouldnt let that happen. IMHO it would be more likley to be a second male.

As for the fat belly, I dont know.

user posted image

I pulled the 4 footer apart that these guys were in (for my Tropheus) and threw these into a 30 inch fry tank. They have fitted in well...

Andrea smile.gif

Archived