Leptosoma "malasa"

Richard

I dont know how it works. I guess it is luck of the draw. I have seen colonies of both yellow and blue tailed males.

Did you get the leptos of Rae? What color are their tails?

Josh

Lepto malas and utinta are two different locations!!! They should not be kept together as they will cross breed. Utinta are about $50 each, malasa $10 in queensland.

Awsome fish by the way Richard!

Oh ok, what are these then http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1468

It says they are "Utinta" but then it says they are also known as Malasa. Also, on that website there is no other listing for Cyprichromis Leptosoma "Malasa". That article also says there are two varients...the blue tailed and yellow tailed.

Bruce

Well there you go Bruce

I got my info from Cichlid forum and it says they are the same fish in their profile section

Leptosoma Profile

I stand corrected

Josh

I shouldnt go away and have dinner before I hit the reply Button. I had the same idea as you Bruce LOL.gif

Yeah but I also have other pages that state the same thing. There seems to be some info on a jumbo variety from Malasa but I cant find much info on it.

I dont know now. dntknw.gif If efc01 say's they are different then I would be doing a bit more research on them before I go mixing them. It wouldnt be the first time a web site has been wrong

Josh

As far as I know Utinta and Malasa are localities in the lake.

As they are at different locations they have different colours as one colour might not be as favourable as another in a differnet location. This may be due to camouflage, depth and therefore light penetration in water, what the women prefer wink2.gif etc etc.

They are not a different species as such but should none the less not be crossed so as to preserve the unique colour morphs that exist within the lake.

As for the yellow tails, all leptos should have a yellow tail but it is hard to find should well bred stock in Australia. (My Utinta trio don't if someone has good Utinta stock in Sydney/Newcastle area please PM me).

Just my thoughts. zipit.gif

Archived