Bonding glass to plastic?

Bruce

I am trying to make a growout tank out of a 60l plastic stackable tub. I am also trying to add a glass viewing window. How can I join the glass to the plastic? I've tried;

~Glass Silicon

~Hot glue gun

And I am currently trying fibreglass resin. Does anyone know what I can use to join these two things?

Bruce

I doubt it can be done Bruce. The main problem is that when you fill the tub it is going to flex and break the seal. I dont know of anyway of doing it that will make it cheaper then use using a proper tank

Josh

bunnings have some of those tubs that are clearer than others, might be a better solution.

I just use a 220l black tub & treat it as a small indoor pond. It needs a frame to support it though or it would burst, the smaller 40-60l ones seem to be more rigid when full (I use the smaller ones as sumps on a few tanks)

Can you see the fish in your black tub "ponds" or only view them from above. I'd like to see them from the side aswell. I think another tank would be the cheaper option.

Bruce

Dang, no luck with the fibreglass resin either. Would scratching the surface of the plastic help for stuff to stick to it?

Bruce

G'day Bruce

I have bonded some things using silicone to plastic and I always rough up the surface. But there is no way that it would hold water. As Josh said it will flex and it will break. I use it to bond flyscreen to an icecream container.

If you really want to do this then I would suggest that you go to a plastics Manufacturer. I think there is one in Smithfield (Someone will know the one that is often referred to) that has many different solvents available. They will also be able to help you out with some clear plastic.

I have seen setups like you describe and they are usually made from semi clear plastic tubs. It is not the best but it is the cheapest option.

To be honest I would be buying small secondhand tanks or possibly new wholesale tanks. It will cost a little more in the beginning but at least it will hold water.

Hope this helps

Matthew

Archived