smashed thermometer

lt2004

Hi,

I was setting up my new tank on the weekend, and put the thermometer, (red dye, green background, you know, the standard one, costs a couple of $) set up in the tank ready to go.

anyway, the suction cup wasnt fasten correctly and it fell and smashed on the bottom of the tank. The red dye has stained the silicon (about the size of a 50c piece), and the little black balls that sit in the base of the thermometer were in there as well. I have cleaned these up without touching them.

Are these thermometers mercury filled these days?, is the dye toxic to fish??

shock.gif Lyle if you had wanted fancy coloured silicon, you only had to ask LOL.gif Can't help you with your question though..I'd assume they would be alcohol filled thermometers and not likely to be harmful. I hope it doesn't eat into the silicon dntknw.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Cheers, didnt think they would be mercury filled, but better to ask.

After working in Indo and seeing what the artesional miners do with Mercury when they are mining alluvial gold, it sure opens your eyes to the stuff!

Yeah Andrea, didnt even get any water into it, so dont know if it leaks, dont think so though, looks more like red staining. Red and (almost) white, the mighty bulldogs (South Fremantle!, WA joke).

Cheers, lyle

iv had 3 of them brake in my tanks while the water was in there. i think its from the fish goen nuts and nocking it not sure koz i have come done in the morning turned the lights on and seen smashed glass on the gravel

I think the red liquid is just alcohol with a dye, it shouldn't worry your fish any. Particularly in such a small dose.

iv had 3 of them brake in my tanks while the water was in there. i think its from the fish goen nuts and nocking it not sure koz i have come done in the morning turned the lights on and seen smashed glass on the gravel

Or you have fish that need to visit AA.

• 2 weeks later...

Red = Alcohol, Silver = Mercury. The little balls are as far as I know lead to conduct the heat to the bulb of the thermometer better. I'm sure you've already got the tank filled by now but for future reference the most hazardous part to the fish would probably be the broken glass. Doesnt hurt to get rid of that lead though - don't want to get it in your skin tongue.gif

Archived