Shipping Electric yellows

Ash

Hey people,

I'm just wondering how much it costs to ship fish, as I was wanting to get a colony of Electric Yellows and they cost about $18-25 for 4-5cm fish up here...

Looking through the classifieds it appears they are a lot cheaper, theoretically if it costs me $10 per fish & I buy 5 from down there & if freight is about $50 I'm breaking even - of course I'd probably get more fish & they'd likely be larger than the ones up here so I'd be way ahead, wouldn't I?

I'd also feel a lot better buying them of the "regulars" if you know what I mean, having never done this before.

so, advice people? What do they usually go for? I've seen $1/cm mentioned which is a huge saving to what I'd pay up here, even though shipping less than $100 worth of fish might sound stupid, if they'd cost over $200 for the equivelent locally it ain't so stupid. Also, I don't know whether to get fry/juvies or an established colony (or part or one).

Sorry for the n00bish questions. blush.gif

Thanks

Ash

Hey Ash,

They go by weight. I went my red devil down to melbourne with Australia post and they charged $60. It was a box with one bag in it, and a few air bags to pad it up.

Call up and get a quote from Australia post or virgin. I think you may need an account with Virgin.

You need to also find someone who is willing to go to airport and send them etc etc..

:-)

AAE will charge a fee and then a charge by the kilo. If you are going past brisbane then you would looking at more then $50

Well & truely past Brisbane.

What sort of weight would I be looking at?

Say if you were packing 8-10 yellows to ship up to me, how would you do it?

I guess it's safest to individually bag them, especially with adults. How much water per bag? 3l or there abouts? So that'd be 30kg for 10 adults, plus the foam box.

Am I in the ball park?

Am I in the ball park?

yeh, but ya hitin' a sixer LOL.gif

3ltr is a big guess, even for adults 1ltr would do, so thats less weight

if you go this way, make it worthwhile. buy the absolute best quality you can find.

good, bad or ugly, they cost the same to ship

cheers; C

i got some fish recently in the past year from qld it was a fairly big order as it combined a few peoples orders and shipping was $80 from memory

cheers

Sarah

not sure if that helps or not

Am I in the ball park?

yeh, but ya hitin' a sixer :lol3:

3ltr is a big guess, even for adults 1ltr would do, so thats less weight

if you go this way, make it worthwhile. buy the absolute best quality you can find.

good, bad or ugly, they cost the same to ship

cheers; C

Ahh, so help on who to get the best quality stock from then? bigsmile.gif

I had guessed 3l per bag but as I don't have any control over whoever packs them I was guessing high. blush.giflaugh.gif

Sarah: Yeah, I'd figured that would be about the upper limit, thanks. raisehand.gif

Hi Ash

I'm the Gold Coast breeder Sarah organised the shipment from late last year (Hi Sarah smile.gif From memory the order Sarah arranged went around 10kg including the box and cost $80 - $90 to Melbourne, and there were quite a few fish in that box.

When shipping fish, you pay a base rate of around $27.00 plus a per kilo rate, plus a fuel surcharge, plus GST. The per kilo rate from the Gold Coast is around $2.50 to Sydney & $4.80 to Melbourne. If you are paying the base rate, you might as well get a box full of fish or at least half full, as the initial charge is the biggest cost. Its not that much extra for a couple of extra bags of fish.

I am currently breeding some really nice electric yellows and will have 4-5 cm fry available in a few weeks time. And I also breed a few other fish you may be interested in to add value to the shipping cost, which shouldn't be too bad from the Gold Coast to Townsville. I have a full list in my breeders register listing on the Qld Cichlid Forum. Have a look and shoot me an email if you would like to talk further.

Cheers, Doug

email : anitajoy@bigpond.net.au

Archived