New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula

Ben

Hi all,

After buying a colony of Tropheus from Jim I purchased a bucket of NLS Cichlid Forum as that is what Jim was feeding them. The Tropheus love it.

I have feed it to all my other fish and they aren’t really fussed by it but do eat it but nothing like the Tropheus devour it.

Anyway my main question is do you find it makes your water smell?

I open the lid of my tank and I’m hit with the smell of NLS. It doesn’t really worry me I was just wondering if others had noticed.

Cheers

Ben

never noticed that one, weirdness blink.gif

All my smaller fish seem to gobble it pretty enthusiastically, the larger ones seem a little less impressed with it.

I have the larger pellets. Seems like most of my fish ignore it, don't know why though. Only the plecos seem to go for it after it sinks to the bottom.

Smell.....never really noticed it, I find the Hikari food sticks have much more smell.

Is there any chance you're overfeeding?

NLS pellets do break up readily and at feeding time my tank water goes quite cloudy for a short period. But i have a large capacity filter and a colony of Cyps that enjoy feeding on the debris, so it's not a problem for me.

Glenn

Can’t say I can smell NLS anymore. Every time I open a container to feed the fish in the house my wife says she can smell it, so I know it’s strong, I guess I’m just immune to it now.

However, I expect I know the smell as what I remember was a strong smell of garlic. I remember reading about how Pablo Tepoot who invented…created NLS, took research on the disease preventative prowess of garlic for fish. He apparently took this research, and tripled the minimum amount of garlic required and added it as stock standard in NLS. I remember the smell originally in my garage when I turned my feeding in there primarily over to NLS, and it was a strong garlic smell, and remember my tanks started to smell like it too. Can’t smell it in there anymore either – guess my nose has been blown out!

I wouldn’t be too fussed with it, NLS is the best dry food available in my opinion - smell or no smell (probably in part due to the smell).

I feed it to my Tropheus and have done so for years. My garage tanks have only had it for a few months, but I tell you I think I will start wearing goggles when I feed my fish as I'm sick of being splashed in the face by the rush of Mbuna to the food. I do make sure the open container of food is nowhere near the fish being fed to prevent water being splashed into it.

Feed away Ben, it will cause you no issue unless you are married!

Craig

Feed away Ben, it will cause you no issue unless you are married!

Well I guess I am safe then. bigsmile.gif

I think I will start wearing goggles when I feed my fish as I'm sick of being splashed in the face by the rush of Mbuna to the food.

Do your tropheus do it also? Mine do. I am sick of cleaning the outside glass and washing all the food off the lids after feeding them. Little buggers.

Archived