Desk tank at work

novafishy

Hey guys...been given the go-ahead by the boss to let me have a small tank on my desk at work. raisehand.giftongue.gifthumbup.gif

I've decided on a small-ish 16"L x 8"w x 9"h tank.

Now I'm not sure what sort of tank I should go for. Here are my options:

1) Small semi-planted tank (which I would love)

2) Shelldweller tank

3) goldfish tank dry.gif

Also what sort of fish would you recommend? I have a few in mind, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks! bigsmile.gif

Being a shell dweller fan, id say shellies bigsmile.gif But it is a personal choice. Some people prefer a planted tank, some orefer a nice rocky tank dry.gif Its up to you

Might have to see the principla and see if i can get a tank at school LOL.gifLOL.gif

I'm a huge shelldweller fan too. I've got enough shellie tanks at home tho...and I would like to create a nice tank at work, so my other workmates might get an interest in fishkeeping and keep one on their desk too. That is the goal! haha!

So it also has to be aesthetically nice and I'm leaning towards planted.

Yeh Tim, speak to the principal to get a tank on your desk! you'll be the most popular guy in no time! :)

Yea id say go for a nice planted tank, thats what got me into the hobby, mr trophs 6 foot planted amazon tank wub.gif .

Yeh Tim, speak to the principal to get a tank on your desk! you'll be the most popular guy in no time! smile.gif

Thats why is was watching the pirhana post for, anyone annoys me i just put there hand in there LOL.gif Im sure i would be the coolest kid for sure dry.gif

Hey

I would personally go for a goldfish tank.That way people can see exactly what you need and they can always ask you qusetions about it.That way they might think about having one themselves.At work or at home.But its a personal choice mate good luck.

Cheers

Bluefish

Hey Nova,

If you've already got shellies at home i'd go with semi planted. especially as it will look more asthetically pleasing to other workers who arent as knowledgable about fish. Also if you have shellies you'll end up staring at them all day! woot.gif

As for goldfish... they really should be given more space then that. just coz its always done, doesnt make it right angry.gif

if you want a low maintainance tank i'd get a betta. if you want a bit more action in the tank then maybe add a small school of colorful tetra.

Bluefish- I have nothing against goldfish, but I think they are just a bit too boring for my liking...so I think i'll pass on the goldfish. But thanks for your thoughts! :)

Carlos - yeh i agree with you - semi planted is the way to go! just looks nice in my opinion. But what sort of fish and plants?

I'd go with undemanding small leaved plants (bigger leaved plants make the tank feel small) that are slow growing for low maintainance.

Anubias nana, some crypts, java moss, and corkscrew vals all spring to mind.

I've got an internal filter in one of my established tanks to get it cycled..so I think i'll be using an internal. I find that the HOB's clog up and lose flowrate too easily...but maybe I just got a crap HOB. haha!

I found this link: very interesting to see this guys work desk tank.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/3953.1.htm?25#

saw a post a while ago about a guy that had a one foot perspex cube on his desk done as a marine tank, had a few live rock in the middle hidding the in and out bulkheads for the canister that was concealed under the desk, had a few chromis and perculars in there, even an anaemony, or something similar

trofius that would be awesome. Except if you had to move the desk around, 2 holes where the plumbing went. Try explaining that to the boss! lol.

Hmm tough choice.

You could go gold fish, and would stike peoples interests since they are widely kept and mis looked after. I am sure you would be approached for advice. Share the good knowledge around :-)

OR you could go planted and have a few tropicals in there. That would look awesome!

Keep us updated

Hi,

Please remember you wont be able to take care of them on the weekends and you will have to rely on others to feed them during your vacations.

I dont know about your office but some places do not have air conditioning running at night and on weekends.

I suppose whichever fish you decide on will have to be hardy.

Regards

William

I have an Aqua One AR380. These are perfect for a desk top tank as everything is contained in the tank, trickle filter, power head, heater, hood, light. Plus it grows plants very well. I have just thrown some val and a chain sword in mine with no attempt to plant it out so its a bit sparse. I originally planned on taking this to work and putting it on my desk, but I used it to house a couple of fish at home temporarily and somehow its stayed there on the kitchen bench!

I recently trimmed the val in this tank and there were strands over 1metre long! The whole shebang cost me about $150 from memory? Plus the heater.

Click to view my kitchen nano tank

thumb.gif

There is actually an anubias in there as well at the moment, but I just threw that in hoping my Chinese Golden Algea Eater will clean it up a bit before I put it in my big tank!

Thanks for the replies guys and that was an awesome lil cube setup, trofius! thanks for the link!

The place i work at is air conditioned, but i'm sure its turned off at night and on weekends as william pointed out.

I'm either going to go for a betta(as they are tough as) and maybe a few small tetras - cardinals maybe?

Rams are a good choice...probs blue rams or bolivians. WHat are your thoughts?

also, would no food during the wkend be ok? my guess is that it should be fine.

I have an 18" tank on my desk at work. It initially had substrate and and some plants in the substrate but I found it easier to maintain (low maint is more important at work than home) without substrate. WHat I have now is anubias and java fern planted on bits of wood. There are the large clumps of plants. I have a small compact flouro in a cardboard box in the top. It has a small trickle filter from Ben's. It's currently stocked with 2 Microgeophagus altispinosa and a few bristlenose. I usually give the BN away when they get to 5 cm and bring a few more 1cm ones from home. It's been there for about 18 months. I never worry about feeding the fish on the weekends. It's never been a problem. There are a few other fish guys in the office so if I am away they get fed. I change about 30% of the water once a week. It takes me about 5 minutes max with a bucket. I also does it with a few drops of trace element fertilizer to help the plants.

While we might consider shellies or tropheus much more interesting, I find that other ‘non-fish’ people are more attracted to the simple aesthetics of bright colours and plants than the finer behavioural aspects. Unless they can observe them closely over a period of time, I’d go with a planted tank with a school of neons/cardinals or similar, and perhaps a couple of rams. Oh, and a b/n, people seem fascinated by them! In fact, it sometimes irks me, that i've got a tank with $$$ of fish, and all some people wanna know about is the lousy b/n on the rock! LOL.gif

Do planted tanks need an airstone? If not, I’d consider a small internal filter. I wouldn’t like a noisy pump on my desk annoying the crap outta me.

Cheers

Glenn

Archived