You call that orange?

ViS

I bought a breeding colony of msobo from Lee Miller today and am astonished at how bright orange they are woot.gif

I thought mine were bright. His are awesome. You can see the difference in the top pic. my smaller girls in the pic look yellow compared to his. I had just caught out all my spare males before adding his fish, so my original girls are spooked and much lighter than usual.

Obviously he feeds his a slightly different diet to mine as well (his look like they eat better than mine too by their fat bellies laugh.gif ).

The top two pics are with the new fish from Lee in the tank and the bottom two pics are my old colony.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

They look a lot more different in the pic than they look now in real life. As I said, the comparison fish were spooked and very pale. if you compare them to the colour of my fish in the bottom pictures the difference isn't so great.

I believe Lee fed his a combo of high quality foods including NLS, hikari, cichlid attack etc, so a lot of food with carotene. My food isn't so high in carotene so it will be interesting to see if they lose some of the brilliance over the next few weeks or not.

They are a stunning fish in the flesh wink2.gif

Congratulations on your new msobo.

It is amazing what the effect diet has on colouration or is it also the bloodline of the fish. dntknw.gif I would be interested to hear what Lee's feeding regime is.

I don't think there have been too many bloodlines come in, so I'm assuming it's diet mostly.

As most people know, bright yellow, red or orange fish are affected by carotene, a natural colour enhancer, more than other colourerd fish. Lee's msobo look a bit funny in the pictures, but that's as much to do with the effect of the flash as anything. In the flesh, they are a lovely bright, solid orange.

I notice my msobo go much more orange when they are fed mostly brine shrimp. There was a stage where I had to use up a few sheets of shrimp before emptying the freezer, and their colour then would have been somewhere between the bottom pics and the top pics.

I had the pleasure of seeing Lee's fishroom yesterday and saw his msobo's in person smile.gif and they are outstanding as are all his breeding stock.

Hey Andy, Mr Msobo looks pleased as well LOL.gifwoot.gif

Cheers

Hey Andy,

I bought some Msobo fry from Lee and put them in the the Msobo I got from you.

For the first couple of months I could pick the difference between the two groups on colour alone. After being on the same diet of NLS and Sera Flora for a few months the colour of both groups is much more uniform.

Regards,

Mike

Hi all,

I only have Malawians these days and they all get the same food. I feed twice a day and it’s a five course banquet (I like to feed a variety of quality foods blush.gif ).

The main course (about 75% of the diet) is OSI Cichlid Flake, followed by roughly equal amounts of HBH Cichlid Attack, Hikari Cichlid Gold, Tetra Bits and OSI Shrimp Pellets (my fish absolutely love the Shrimp Pellets wub.gif ).

I haven’t used Spectrum but I bought some recently to use instead of the Cichlid Attack (something different that I’ve been trying recently – but my fish took a long time to accept it readily and even now only seem to eat it because it’s there). If the Spectrum goes well I’ll look at phasing out the Hikari Cichlid Gold and Tetra Bits to save myself some time.

As you can see, virtually all the foods I use contain a good dose of carotene, so it’s no surprise the orange colours are pretty strong rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Lee.

You forgot to mention the WC that you feed them. tongue.gif

BEN!

The WC was supposed to be our secret, but I suppose when you're the East Coast distributor you've gotta plug the stuff any chance you get! tongue.gif

I wonder though confused.gif Wouldn't WC turn the females blue/black like the real males????

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi

I keep estherae with the pure orange females. I find Cyclopeze really brings the red / orange colours out in them. In fact my LFS when I took the last batch of young over was amazed by their colour being so good and said they were some ofthe best he had seen and he has seen a lot!!!

Cheers

Rich

Archived