where to find driftwood

steve24cro

does anyone know where i can find mangroves or wetlands in sydney where there could be driftwood? I remember reading a previous post about wood found in nepean river? I am in west sydney, where on the river is the best place to go? i just cant located previous posts...

does anyone know where i can find mangroves or wetlands in sydney where there could be driftwood? ..

don't do this. i don't really want to contribute to your free board and lodgings, at "Her Majesty's" pleasure. or hear that you need to "sell your soul" to pay the fine.

much easier and safer to go to the lfs and pick out a really good peice, rather than trapsing the river bank, only to be happy with what you find.

; Colin

well sorry i aint paying $100+ for a piece of wood which was lying in some swamp, it just sounds plain silly. I need a large piece and im sorry but large peices are basically a rip off from lfs, when is a piece of wood found on the ground worth that kind of money, unless its solid gold! i wouldnt need to go looking elsewhere if prices where anywhere near reasonable.

All the large pieces of wood from one company (the name escapes me) which imports them from Malaysia are all treated and are ready and safe for aquarium use. THis is done so that we, do not have to risk the lives of our fish, by adding some foreign piece of wood which still might have toxins or other bad chemicals absorbed in the wood, which will, in turn, release into your water and kill your fish. Who knows? there might have been pesticides used in the area the previous day, and YOU wouldn't have known that. Who knows? there could be dangerous spiders lurking within the branches such as red-backs. And when you give your wood a clean, they just MIGHT bite you. But who knows? confused.gif

If you rather save your money, then go ahead. Just don't come crawling back to us when you tell us your whole tank of fish are dead simply because you didn't want to spend a bit of cash on a beautiful aquarium-safe piece of wood that is already treated for our own sake.

You also need a licence to collect wood and it IS ILLEGAL to do so if you are not in possession of a licence.

Ultimately, it is still your decision. If you want to risk the lives of your fish and/or pay a hefty fine if you are caught collecting wood, then by all means, go ahead.

your mad mate dont risk the chance of getting caught, just spend the cash and go and buy something from the lfs, if you love your fish that much you wont put any thing foreign in your tank. Novafishy is spot on the money and i agree 100% but then again each to ther own

well sorry i aint paying $100+ for a piece of wood which was lying in some swamp, it just sounds plain silly. I need a large piece and im sorry but large peices are basically a rip off from lfs, when is a piece of wood found on the ground worth that kind of money, unless its solid gold! i wouldnt need to go looking elsewhere if prices where anywhere near reasonable.

If the pieces were easily accessible and really were just "lying in some swamp" then I doubt the stores would be able to charge the money they do. Remember, the true value of something is the price someone is willing to pay for it. If no-one was buying the pieces, the price would surely come down wink2.gif

I'd personally follow the advice you have received in this thread and do it the legal way. There are laws for a reason yes.gif

Archived