some ideas please

raz7au

Hi folks,

I have a two foot tank with 12 3-4cm 6 bar frontosa in it.

Could you tell me if you think this is overcrowding?

Will it slow there growth?

I have a aquaclear 500 hang on filter on there, Is this enough filtration?

Any suggestions Appreciated.

Thanks

rey

Sorry to be the barer of bad news. It will likely stunt there growth in such a small aquarium. What do you plan on putting them in eventually, and when?

Anthony

imo even a 6 foot tank is too small for the eventual size of these fronts ,i would get them vented keep the best male and 5 females and put them in a 6x2x2 you may get away with a 4x2x2 for a year or 2 after which youll need to move on at least 2 more females

In my honest oppinion it's best to grow fronts out in big tanks as RDM said. I think 5 x 2 x 2 should be fine for maybe 1 (2 max) and 5 females.

Anthony

Agree 100% with RDM and Ant.

Small tanks are okay for teeny fry short term but when you have fish that are going to grow big, giving them room is really important, you don't want stunted fish!

i have a 5x2x2 to put them in in the future but i already have other adult fish in there.

Sounds like you either need to sell some fish or buy some tanks. Big fish need big tanks smile.gif

they need a bigger tank.

i think too many people buy fronts thinking how cute the juves are & they just dont realize how big they indeed grow & how much space they need.

venting them at that size would be almost impossible.even for an expert.

if you wanted to breed eventually...i would sell off the males one by one till your left with all females then go buy a male from another store (as all yours will be bro & sister most likely atm.)

males are easier to come by in the shops than females.

have fun

all good advice!!! I need to say Mate check out the fish and what they need before you subject them to this sort of keeping, Good to see they are in a 5x2x2 now But how are the other adult fish!!!

Archived