My 6x2x2 Filteration

D6C1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any reason why you want such a deep tank?

I reckon 2 2217 + an internal will cover you.

I was going for a plain old 2' x 2', it was the bosses decision to get the taller tank. She was told that it looks quite striking being so tall, and after seeing some 4' x 20" x 2.5' at a LFS on the weekend I have to agree. The extra 0.5' makes a real difference.

Suggestion for all using canisters

get rid of the Eheim ehfisubtrat & substrat pro and replace it with JBL Micromec, 3.5 times the surface area, and well less than 1/2 price per litre (based on 1 to 1L).

examples.

Eheim Ehfisubstrat & Eheim Substrat Pro 450m2L (1L $35.00 & $42.00)

Seachem Matrix 400-500m2L (1L $26.00)

JBL Micromec 1500m2L (1L $19.95)

Suggestion for all using canisters

get rid of the Eheim ehfisubtrat & substrat pro and replace it with JBL Micromec, 3.5 times the surface area, and well less than 1/2 price per litre (based on 1 to 1L).

Is is really that good or is is it one of those marketing claims which look good on paper but makes little difference in the real world.

AFAIK, these surface area claims are extremely hard to prove.

Well as per the Eheim product, they are both from high end German companies.

Micromec has been on the market for several years, however due to the lack of stores that carry it, and the fact that JBL have a policy of letting the product speak for itself (they do very little advertising anywhere in the world) not as many people know about it. According to an article online somewhere (will try and track down the URL) the R&D spent on this product was something like 8 times more than what Eheim spent on their substrat product.

Personally I have used it since 2001-2002 when I purchased it overseas, and have sworn by it ever since.

If it was a marketing scam, why arent there ad's plastred everywhere? there isnt? I personally believe this is one of those items that the manufacturer allows the product to talk for itself.

http://www.jbl.de/uk/aqua/uk_62548.html

For my 5x2x18" tropheus tank i run 2 separate Fluval 404 cannisters with an itnernal Rio 600 filter. in the cannisters i just use the ceramic noodles and fine wool.

water is crystal clear

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2100 litre 10 foot tank that I run no less then 5 Large cannister filters on.

2 x Fluval FX5's with Eheim media

2 x Aqua One Aquis 2400's with Eheim media

and 1 x Eheim Pro 3 2080

Running lots of big cannisters is easier then dealing with sumps.

I've got a 2100 litre 10 foot tank that I run no less then 5 Large cannister filters on.

and 1 x Eheim Pro 3 2080

Off topic but you are one of few ppl who have got the 3 largest cannister filters on the market. Which one do you think is best?

and 1 x Eheim Pro 3 2080

Off topic but you are one of few ppl who have got the 3 largest cannister filters on the market. Which one do you think is best?

I would refer you to my post in this thread where I have essentialy reviewed my experiences with the large cannisters

Fluval FX5 thread

*snip*

Could you elaborate on that a bit more - I would have thought it would be the other way around. Sure sumps are a bit harder to setup, but once going they are pretty darn low maintainence

I've really got to buy a cannister one day & see what all the fuss is about hey blush.gif

I wasn't "picking", just curious. tongue.gif

Just out of curiosity...Why doesn't anyone use carbon in their cannisters???? confused.gif

I only have a 3ft running a 1200l/ph cannister and 900l/hr internal.

In the internal I have coarse filter sponge, in the cannister I have ceramic noodles on the bottom, filter wool on the next tray and then carbon with a few more noodles on top....My water is crystal clear, no smells or colours.

I'm just curious as I want to make sure I'm not doing something drastically wrong..... blink.gif

your not doing anything wrong, no one really uses carbon coz you dont need it, that simple. If you use good bio media, thats all you need.

Oh! shock.gif I didn't know that. So would the noodles and filter sponge be enough bio media on their own or should I add bio balls as well or something like that and remove the carbon?

If your fish aren't showing any signs of poor water quality then it's probably OK as is - I think the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

If you wanted to add some more bio media you could do so at the next filter maintenance and remove the charcoal. The charcoal does have a limit to the amount of pollutants it can absorb and will need to be removed at some time whether you add more media or not...

P.S. Here's a little read from the SCP re. the use of carbon:

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/content/?page_id=12

*snip*

Could you elaborate on that a bit more - I would have thought it would be the other way around. Sure sumps are a bit harder to setup, but once going they are pretty darn low maintainence

Sumps are a custom solution only suitable for the tank they are built for and have no warrenty or redress if it all goes wrong and you end up with water everywhere. I only like them if they are built into the back wall of the actual tank.

I build my own for less than the price of a single eheim & I've never had any leaking problems. dntknw.gif

Spose if you paid for them it would make them less attractive, but for under $100 for the pump & boxes (I use plastic tidy boxes) plus maybe another $100 for media & fittings, it's pretty darn cost effective to make a 2500-4500lph filter with about 20-30l of media area.

Not meanting to diss you or anything, I'm just really DIY minded I guess.

My two 7fters are set up the same as each other. Each have 2 x 2600L per H. One runs through a UV and the other runs the fliudized bed fltter. Total cost 2000. Filters cost 350 each got 4. Total water volume About 1600L.

Good filtration No nitrite or amonia.

But I would rather a sump set up. All My other tanks ar on sumps.

You can do 2000 litres for hardly any cost. I still us a UV and fluidised bed filter. Also I just use a 10 000 micron sock dor machenical filtering. Cost is like 20 and you wash them in your washing machine. Really godd and cheap.

Well benefits of multiple canisters is you can customize each one to what you want in it, different bio medias etc or you can have 1 canister with more sponge in it for mechanical filtration, another canister set up purely for biological activity etc. With a sump well you have to re arrange the whole thing when you want to change the layout.

Benefits of a sump, well theres heaps, dont need to mention them as most of you already know them. A sump is way cheaper, only thing i dont like about them is they take room up in the tank and dont look very good.

Archived