Live foods how to ....

gelf

Hey all,

I was planning to write a series of articles on keeping and producing live foods, including plants. Hints, tips, techniques, etc. I'll post the final products on this site.

I would like to include the expertise and experiences of as many people as possible so the articles can be as complete and accurate as possible.

If you have any subjects you’d like me to address, any hints, tips, recipes, scientific information, etc, please emails me at tony@gelf.com.au.

I was thinking of structuring the articles as such:

­ Name (common and sci)

­ Complete description, including scientific info

­ Nutritional analysis

­ Suitable for:

­ Culture methods (medium recipes, temps, etc)

­ Harvesting

­ Any warnings or cautions (both to humans and fish)

The articles so far will be:

­ Infusoria

­ Green water

­ Moia (sp?)

­ Daphnia

­ Cyclops

­ Microworms

­ Blood Worms

­ Mosquito larvae

­ Ants

­ Grindal Worms

­ White Worms

­ Black works

­ Mealworms

­ Crickets

­ Cockroaches

­ Fruit fly (Drosophila), including vestigial wing

­ Fruit fly (the larger species)

­ House flies

­ Rams-horn Snails

­ Garden snails

­ Filamentous green algae

­ Duckweed (Wolfia sp.)

­ Duckweed (Spirodela sp.)

If you have others you’d like me to include, just let me know.

Please pm me as I have this listed on several sites.

I look forward to the articles. One to add to the list would be earth worms. my fish love em.

Links to places online you can get starters would be good too.

While I think of it has anyone got a pure parmecium culture I could get a starter from?

Dean

• 1 month later...

No other interest out there? From all the forums I've had lots of supporting comments but very little actual input.

Any info would be great. Even if it's just a story, or a hint or anything.

Cheers

How about vinegar eels as well. Very useful for fry with tiny mouths eg: dwarfs, and you can just stick the bottle of vinegar in a dark cupboard for months and ignore it. I just never worked out how to harvest them properly (easily)

Cheers

Steph

Hi Gelf,

As Colfish has said, we are all eagerly awaitng these articles. It would be worthwhile to checkout other articles written on these topics beforehand, but I assume you probably have this covered. I found the Australian Rainbowfish site fantastic for such articles.

Look forward to seeing your work, and hopefully learning from it.

To appeal to cheapskates and slackers like me it has to be cheap, and easy and it has to be effective laugh.gif

micro worms ive cultured by the billions, no problems.

white worms, i did get a culture but couldnt find an effective harvest technique.

vinegar eels, i read some info on the net and decided it would be too much hassle.

I notice you dont have the common earthworm on your list. They are easy, and cheap. They're highly nutritious (42% protein if fed right) and ive never met a fish that didnt love them.

Bob

i second the addition of earth worms!

it might also be a idea to add "availability" to the subject list, for things like mosquito larvae etc. also a list of suppliers who deal sell live cultures.

i think if you have enough info to write a draft and post it up here you will get a much larger response from people adding onto what you have writen.

Hi Gelf, would be really interested in your article . have you really raised all these live foods its a hobby on its own .look forward to article. My salvini just love a cockroach, one usually ends up in at least two mouths and guess crickets would go the same way. Any thing with a lot of colour of its own is going to colour fish up more than beige food.

carlos - eath worms are in. Availability is in. Ta. Do not want to put in a list of suppliers as I don't want that som-in some-out commercial argument. I wil include info on getting them from the wild where relavent.

guido58 - Nup, not grown them all myself, but had a fair go at most of them.

OK, the first article is well on it's way.

I've started with Drosophila Fruit Fly.

Download the file here: http://www.gelf.com.au/fish/drosophila_fruit_fly.pdf. It's 135KB.

If you have any comments, info to include, or photos, please post, email, pm me. Comments on layout are welcome too.

Let me know how you'd like to be referenced, anonymous is fine too.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've got another Live Food production article to proofing stage.

GRINDAL WORMS

Please take the time to read and let me know of any improvements, etc so I can include them.

I'd also appreciate it if people could check out the DROSOPHILLA FRUIT FLY article, and do the same.

I have a couple of other articles under construction at the mo.

Cheers

Tony

Gelf,

Have just read your articles. They look very professional and well researched. I've next to no experience raising live food so am of no help to you for your articles. Just wanted to voice my support for what you're doing. Well done.

Regards,

Peter.

Gidday Gelf...I agree that the research etc. you have done looks great. The articles read quite well. Sorry I can't offer any input but I'm sure your work will help many.

Andrea smile.gif

Hi gelf,

i'm using the most up to date firefox (1.5.0.1) and it and the left hand menu bar comes up as html code. if it helps i can pm u the code i see. but it works fine in my IE.

great articles btw, its really nice to see someone (esp in aust) taking the initiative! what happened to the daphnia cultures you use to sell?

Interesting. Could I get you to check out g/gift_register.cgi with firefox and see if you get html, or it compiles properly? They are both .cgi scripts. Maybe theres a problem with how I call the script at the start with the side banner. I know older netscape browsers do the same thing.

As for the daphnia, I lost them all in the hot weather. As it was I couldn't get enough going to offer any for sale, couldn't even keep up with my own needs.

Archived