BN in a coldwater (goldfish) tank?

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

I'd like to give some BN fry to my sister, would they survive in her cold water tank?

Note that I live in Victoria...

I want them to be happy, would hate them to freeze their nuts off...

Cheers

Richard

putting in a heater to 20-22 degrees wouldnt harm the goldfish.only make them more active and busier.however the filter would work harder and might fail if its too small due to more food being consumed,dont overfeed though slow it down if they become fat. smile.gif

Thanks for the replys folks,

That's my solution too Nannat, however no matter how hard I try to convince my sister she's too scared to put a heater in the tank! Very weird logic my sister has.... blink.gif

Anyone in Victoria keep BN in coldwater tanks?

Cheers

Richard

That's my solution too Nannat, however no matter how hard I try to convince my sister she's too scared to put a heater in the tank! Very weird logic my sister has.... blink.gif

What kills fish is wild temperature swings; towards that end, I actually have heaters in my goldfish tank, and they are happy and healthy at 25C (although on hot days it does go up to 27C). Although goldfish as deemed coldwater fish, you have to look at where they are being kept and bred; in Asia, some of their "cold water" temperature could be 27C, and would certainly be higher in the breeding ponds!

It depends on the temp the tank actually gets down to 18c is usually no problem if aclimated slowlybut say 14c for an extended period and you'll notice bristles and other extremities will be reduced much colder for much longer and they will die.

Regards Chris

Thanks guys,

I'll use that breeding/Asia info in my arsenal to convince her...

I'll also get her to check the temperature in her tank...

Cheers

Richard

Archived